none
VSTO Clickonce – error when upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• I published a new version of VSTO clickonce.

When the user opens the file on his computer, instead of the application upgrading automatically, he gets the following error:

System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentDownloadException: Downloading file:///<path of vsto file> did not succeed.”

Name:

From: file:///C:/Documents and Settings/xxxx/Desktop/xxx.vsto

************** Exception Text **************

System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentDownloadException: Downloading file:///C:/Documents and Settings/xxxx/Desktop/xxx.vsto did not succeed. ---> System.Net.WebException: Could not find file 'C:\Documents and Settings\xxx\Desktop\xxxx.vsto'. ---> System.Net.WebException: Could not find file 'C:\Documents and Settings\xxxx\Desktop\Xxxx.vsto'. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'C:\Documents and Settings\xxxx\Desktop\Xxxx.vsto'.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean useAsync)

at System.Net.FileWebStream..ctor(FileWebRequest request, String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare sharing, Int32 length, Boolean async)

at System.Net.FileWebResponse..ctor(FileWebRequest request, Uri uri, FileAccess access, Boolean asyncHint)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.Net.FileWebResponse..ctor(FileWebRequest request, Uri uri, FileAccess access, Boolean asyncHint)

at System.Net.FileWebRequest.GetResponseCallback(Object state)

at System.Net.FileWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)

at System.Net.FileWebRequest.GetResponse()

at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.GetManifests(TimeSpan timeout)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.InstallAddIn()

Monday, December 2, 2013 10:40 AM

Answers

• Hi,

When we publish a VSTO add-in by clickonce, there will be some files be generated:

If I only sent the Setup.exe to others, I got the same issue as you said:

So I suspect .vsto file was not existing or the file path was incorrect.

If this no help, how do you publish the add-in project?

We can publish the application to a website, FTP server or file path.

If you publish the application to a file path, you must send the following files to others:

Application Files – folder (at least include the latest version folder)

Name.vsto

Setup.exe

In addition, you can try to republish the project and install again to check whether this issue will still happen.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 10:13 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Please make sure that you included all the required files to the package.

Are you able to reproduce the issue with a newly created add-in project?

Monday, December 2, 2013 10:56 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

all required files are included.

this issue doesn't reproduce  in new project.

the users already have the add-in installed and just need an upgrade-

creating a new project won't help me in this case.

thanks!

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 8:00 AM
  • Hi,

When we publish a VSTO add-in by clickonce, there will be some files be generated:

If I only sent the Setup.exe to others, I got the same issue as you said:

So I suspect .vsto file was not existing or the file path was incorrect.

If this no help, how do you publish the add-in project?

We can publish the application to a website, FTP server or file path.

If you publish the application to a file path, you must send the following files to others:

Application Files – folder (at least include the latest version folder)

Name.vsto

Setup.exe

In addition, you can try to republish the project and install again to check whether this issue will still happen.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 10:13 AM
  • I publish the project to file path.

here the files on the path:

if I reinstall the installation on user computer- the problem solved.

but, we can't uninstall and reinstall the project to all users...

thanks!

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 11:19 AM
  • Hi,

I suggest you publishing the application with upgrading automatically.

You can set like below:

Then publish the application to a website or FTP server.

But users need to install this new solution manually.

The next time that the solution checks for an update, it’ll find and load the new version automatically. Users don’t have to run the setup.exe again.

For more information, please refer to Deploying an Office Solution by Using ClickOnce.

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 9:52 AM
  • I am publishing the application with upgrading automatically.

the first option Is selected.

the error occurs when the version number of the application is bigger than the version on the user's machine,

so when the user opens the template file on his machine - the application tries to get the latest version from the server and than the error appears.

thanks!

Thursday, December 5, 2013 6:58 AM