Migrate 500 GB of data from Oracle to SQL server using SSMA RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I need to migrate an oracle database (which has 500 GB data) to SQL server using SSMA.

Can you please suggest the fastest way to migrate this date.

Currently, with default SSMA settings it seems to be taking more than 12 hours.

Are there any settings in oracle side or SSMA or SQL server through which we can make migration faster?

Thanks.

• Edited by ManiC24 Friday, June 5, 2015 4:16 PM
    Friday, June 5, 2015 4:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• it seems to be taking more than 12 hours.

Hello,

Transferring this amount of data will take that time; imagine to simply copy such a large file from one to an other server will take a lot time. No, there are no settings to speed up, it's the quite normal time consumption for such a process.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Proposed as answer by jmcmullen Friday, June 5, 2015 4:38 PM
    Friday, June 5, 2015 4:37 PM
  • I have not migrated the 500 GB oracle database yet.

Wanted to find out some faster way to migrate it.

Since I migrated a similar oracle database to sql server which had 45.5 GB of data using ssma and 

it took 5 hours.

So if we go by same equation then for migrating 500 GB it will take 54 hours which is quite long time.

So wanted to find out if there is any setting using which we can make migration faster.

Thanks!

Friday, June 5, 2015 4:55 PM
  • SSMA supports to do differential data migration, means you first migrate the base database and then in a next step you migrate the changed data size the first step

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Wednesday, June 17, 2015 2:36 AM
    Friday, June 5, 2015 5:08 PM
  • Hello,

Using Integration Services packages (SSIS) with Oracle SSIS Conectors v2 may be the fastest way to transfer/migrate data from Oracle to SQL Server.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=29283

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Friday, June 5, 2015 5:16 PM
  • Olaf,

Thanks for the information!!

Is there any documentation available online for differential data migration using SSMA? 

Friday, June 5, 2015 5:23 PM
  • Olaf,

Thanks for the information!!

Is there any documentation available online for differential data migration using SSMA? 

As far as I know it requires you to customize the migration scripts, see here for an example:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ssma/archive/2010/10/04/how-to-perform-incremental-data-migration-using-ssma.aspx

• Edited by jmcmullen Friday, June 5, 2015 7:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Wednesday, June 17, 2015 2:36 AM
    Friday, June 5, 2015 7:41 PM