CDN way slower than Storage in West US ? RRS feed

• Question

• I read the related "Using CDN is even slower than non-CDN" question but as I'm not trying to cache in China it doesn't apply to me.

I have a storage account in West US and I followed the How to use CDN (http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/cdn-how-to-use/) tutorial, and the content I can load takes significantly longer than without the CDN. Some content doesn't even load. I understand there are many variables at play over a network, but my local connection is just fine for all other operations and I created this CDN last week so it's definitely over the setup period. 

What do you suggest? I checked the image uri's to be sure they are the correct CDN uri's, and setting up the CDN was very straight forward so I'm surprised it doesn't work in West US.

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 11:34 PM

Answers

• Hi winnicki,

In most case, CDN should offer a better performance and user experience, it is a global solution for delivering high-bandwidth content by caching blobs and static content, When request is made using CDN URL, contents of the blob are delivered from closest CDN endpoint geographical location to request made. If blob is not found in CDN endpoint then it is retrieved from the actual blob storage and cached at the CDN endpoint location. For all subsequent request coming from that geographical location will be served from cached CDN endpoint information till the time of expiry. CDN will refresh the cached blob information when time –to-live (TTL) is elapsed.

Best Regards,

Jambor

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Manu Rekhar Thursday, October 16, 2014 5:23 AM
    Friday, August 8, 2014 5:54 AM
  • Hi,

I would suggest you to use "tracert" commend to get the router list.

tracert -d az647590.vo.msecnd.net

For more information, refer this thread:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/96d1f352-0175-4e82-958f-03356dc6fa7f/singapore-computer-connecting-to-california-cdn-instead-of-singapore-cdn?forum=windowsazuredata

Let us know the results, so that we can assist you better.

Regards,
    Azam Khan

Monday, August 11, 2014 12:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

There will be some delay during initial setup. Once CDN is working, you don't see any delay for new contents to be served.

In most cases, CDN should offer a better performance. Also check your proxy settings. If you use a proxy abroad, you will go to a data center that is closest to that proxy server, instead of a data center near you.

Please let us know if you have any issues.

Regards,
    Azam Khan

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 2:20 AM
  • I've tested using 3G and WiFi and it's just as slow either way. I'm not sure what you mean by "initial setup".. is there a warm up time as in I have to use the CDN for a while before it gets fast? I set up the CDN last week so it's past the 60 minute setup time if that's what you're referring to.  

Otherwise I'm not using any proxy. It's simply a West US storage account with a CDN caching blobs from it. I'm also located and testing the app from West Canada.

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 11:56 PM
  • Hi winnicki,

In most case, CDN should offer a better performance and user experience, it is a global solution for delivering high-bandwidth content by caching blobs and static content, When request is made using CDN URL, contents of the blob are delivered from closest CDN endpoint geographical location to request made. If blob is not found in CDN endpoint then it is retrieved from the actual blob storage and cached at the CDN endpoint location. For all subsequent request coming from that geographical location will be served from cached CDN endpoint information till the time of expiry. CDN will refresh the cached blob information when time –to-live (TTL) is elapsed.

Best Regards,

Jambor

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, August 8, 2014 5:54 AM
  • Hi,

I would suggest you to use "tracert" commend to get the router list.

tracert -d az647590.vo.msecnd.net

For more information, refer this thread:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/96d1f352-0175-4e82-958f-03356dc6fa7f/singapore-computer-connecting-to-california-cdn-instead-of-singapore-cdn?forum=windowsazuredata

Let us know the results, so that we can assist you better.

Regards,
    Azam Khan

Monday, August 11, 2014 12:08 PM
  • Azure's CDN implementation seems to be flawed, only selecting the CDN based on latency and does not take link speed into account.

Related problem experienced in

• Indonesia (connects to CDN in Italy rather than Singapore or Japan)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8f9701c5-afe9-4408-9c86-386b5236c6af/azure-cdn-very-slow-from-indonesia?forum=windowsazuredata

• Singapore (connects to CDN in California instead of Singapore)

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsazure/en-US/96d1f352-0175-4e82-958f-03356dc6fa7f/singapore-computer-connecting-to-california-cdn-instead-of-singapore-cdn?forum=windowsazuredata#416d1e09-cbb1-4a0a-8d1b-a1f6ce6ab631

Monday, August 11, 2014 3:45 PM
  • Sorry for the late reply. I will try your suggestions and report back. Thank you
    Saturday, August 16, 2014 6:19 AM
  • Hi,

I'm marking the post as answered since there was no response from couple of days. Click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. We would be glad to assist further on this issue.

Regards,

Manu Rekhar.

Thursday, October 16, 2014 5:22 AM