becoming a game developer

Question

• hi guys i have some questions . i want to became a game developer in windows platform, i know c# coding but dont know how to create a game and i also wanted to join in micosoft now i am doing B.Tech IT pls help me friends. is there any other tools to create the window games.how to do it?
    • Edited by SundarRaj S Tuesday, September 2, 2014 5:34 AM
    Tuesday, September 2, 2014 5:30 AM

Answers

• Start with the Develop games documentation.

You can write games in C++ and DirectX, in C#/VB/C++ and Xaml, or in HTML/JavaScript, and with third party tools you can mix C# and DirectX. Which is best will depend on you and your specific game.

If you want to stick with C# but go beyond what Xaml provides for gaming you can use 3rd party toolkits such as MonoGame or engines such as Unity3d.

--Rob

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 7:04 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Start with the Develop games documentation.

You can write games in C++ and DirectX, in C#/VB/C++ and Xaml, or in HTML/JavaScript, and with third party tools you can mix C# and DirectX. Which is best will depend on you and your specific game.

If you want to stick with C# but go beyond what Xaml provides for gaming you can use 3rd party toolkits such as MonoGame or engines such as Unity3d.

--Rob

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 7:04 PM
    Owner
  • thank u sir ...but i need some basics and i dont know where to start. i dont know about basic of game creation.

SundarRaj

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 6:23 AM
  • There are numerous books on the topic, which is probably the best place to start. Game development is also a multi-disciplinary activity, so there's a lot of different areas to learn game programming: 2D and 3D rendering, animation, audio, input, simulation, AI, multithreading, linear algebra (particularly affine transformations), SIMD math, etc. so it's best to focus on learning just a few of these at a time.

For Windows Store, Windows phone 8, Xbox One, and Windows 8.x/Windows 7 Win32 desktop games, you should use Direct3D 11. To use C# with Direct3D means you need a C# library for it, and a commonly used one today is SharpDX.

You may want to see this blog post on Book Recommendations as well.

PS: This is assuming that you are interesting specifically in learning the techniques of game coding. If you are just looking for a quick way to try to develop a game idea you have, you may want to look at a game engine like Unity 3D.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 3:39 PM