Unwanted Blank Lines at Bottom of Page RRS feed

• Question

• VFP9 SP2 Win7
    My report leaves about 13-14 unwanted blank lines at the bottom of each page.

The detail band is 14 lines. The first line is always printed. Only 1 or 2 of the remaining lines are normally printed.

All labels and fields on lines 2-14 have a "print when" condition, checked "Remove line if blank" and marked as "Float". Changing these settings has no effect. I've tried setting report behavior 80. What am I missing?

There's no page footer and no space between the Detail bar and Page Footer bar.

Steve
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 2:34 AM

Answers

• It appears to me the "Remove line if blank" is working ok but somehow it's starting another record on a new page when the report writer "thinks" there are not enough lines left on the page to print the next record. In other words the report writer has no way of knowing how many lines (1-14) the next record will require, so it assumes the max (14) and starts the record on a new page just to make sure it will fit.

Perhaps there's some way to tell it it's ok to page break in the middle of printing a record??

Most people who ask are looking for the opposite. This is a group-level setting. Double click the group header band and look at the Data grouping page. You want the default setting of 0 for Start group on new page when less than ...

Tamar

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:47 PM
    Answerer
  • This really is a VFP report "feature"... The necessary area at the end of page is calculated before the blank lines removal which is not good...

Possible work around could be to prepare report data into a table where each record is equal to one non-blank printed row.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:26 PM

All replies

• Did you also try to remove "Stretch with overflow" setting and use some different trimming?
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:00 AM
  • Hi Steve,

you might also check for vertical line objects. If those objects exist, and their height is defined over multiple detail rows, then a 'Remove line when blank' can't work correctly.

Gruss / Best regards -Tom 010101100100011001010000011110000101001001101111011000110110101101110011

• Proposed as answer by Naomi N Thursday, February 16, 2012 3:51 AM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:35 AM
    Answerer
  • Check for groupings that force a new page at their start.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:38 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks, guys for your responses. I'm still getting blank lines at page bottom.  Here's what I've tried:

"Stretch with overflow" is unchecked on all. Actually, each line contains only a short label followed by a numeric field.

I used "Default trimming" on all fields but tried changing it to "Trim to nearest word". Still no effect.

There is one horizontal line at the bottom of the detail band as "Float". It positions properly in the report. Even tried removing the line but same unwanted spaces appeared. I also checked to make sure there is/are no hidden object(s) in the Page Footer.

There are no groupings or variables in the report. I even tried creating a group so I could tell it to "Start group on new page when less than" 0.010 in. No effect.

Any more ideas? TIA.

Steve
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:54 PM
  • Maybe the page size defined in the report is just smaller than the real paper size...This will be just academic discussion without report and data sample... Are you able to post some ZIP file?
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:04 PM
  • Pavel,
    On the Page Layout tab, the picture shows the full page being printed. I've tried "Printable page" and "Whole page" in the Print area section. Width =8.166 and Left margin=0.000 (defaults). I've printed the report on 2 different printers (laser & inkjet) with same result, so the page size appears ok.

Data samples would be difficult (names, acct no's, ssn's, etc.). I'd be happy to post the .frx/.frt file (zipped) but not sure how to do that. Help?

Anyway, the detail band looks something like this (<fields in brackets>)

<ALLTRIM(AcctNo)>  <FullName>  <Tin>  <FullAddr>
      Rents: <Tot1>
      Royalties: <Tot2>
      Other Income: <Tot3>
      Section 409 income: <Tot13>
    ---------------------------------------------

Normally only 1 or 2 amount lines are printed. I tried manipulating the data to print all 13 amount lines. The blank lines almost all disappeared, so here's my thought:

It appears to me the "Remove line if blank" is working ok but somehow it's starting another record on a new page when the report writer "thinks" there are not enough lines left on the page to print the next record. In other words the report writer has no way of knowing how many lines (1-14) the next record will require, so it assumes the max (14) and starts the record on a new page just to make sure it will fit.

Perhaps there's some way to tell it it's ok to page break in the middle of printing a record??

Thanks for your help!

Steve
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:42 PM
  • It appears to me the "Remove line if blank" is working ok but somehow it's starting another record on a new page when the report writer "thinks" there are not enough lines left on the page to print the next record. In other words the report writer has no way of knowing how many lines (1-14) the next record will require, so it assumes the max (14) and starts the record on a new page just to make sure it will fit.

Most people who ask are looking for the opposite. This is a group-level setting. Double click the group header band and look at the Data grouping page. You want the default setting of 0 for Start group on new page when less than ...

Tamar

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:47 PM
    Answerer
  • This really is a VFP report "feature"... The necessary area at the end of page is calculated before the blank lines removal which is not good...

Possible work around could be to prepare report data into a table where each record is equal to one non-blank printed row.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:26 PM
  • VFP9 SP2 Win7
    My report leaves about 13-14 unwanted blank lines at the bottom of each page.

The detail band is 14 lines. The first line is always printed. Only 1 or 2 of the remaining lines are normally printed.

All labels and fields on lines 2-14 have a "print when" condition, checked "Remove line if blank" and marked as "Float". Changing these settings has no effect. I've tried setting report behavior 80. What am I missing?

There's no page footer and no space between the Detail bar and Page Footer bar.

Steve
    as you tell above, there are 14 lines in the detail band, i think there 14 rows in detail band. you redesign them in only row, i.e 14 lines in horizontal 

Giàu thi ghét - Nghèo thi kinh - Thông minh không sử dụng

Thursday, February 16, 2012 3:28 AM
  • Thanks, Tamar & Pavel.

There's no grouping in this report, but I added one with "Start gp on new pg when less than 0" to see if that might work. No luck.

As Pavel said, this is a "feature". I'll either live with it or design a workaround where the record is only two lines instead of 14. I could put the data (x lines)  into a memo field and use the memo field to print the 2nd line using "Stretch with overflow".

Steve

Thursday, February 16, 2012 2:33 PM
  • I suggest moving the 14 detail lines to be 2 columns of 7 and see if that makes a difference.

Also, the line at the bottom of the Detail section - change it to align with the bottom of the band.

Another thing you could try is to change the Print when condition to something like  1=2   (Always false) do that for the label and field on the same line and ensure Remove Line when blank is enabled on all fields and labels.

I can ensure you that removing the blank lines does work - so onne can only conclude that you have something wrong somewhere.

Friday, February 17, 2012 10:25 AM
    Answerer
  • Yes, removing the blank line does work. The problem was the report writer started a new page when there were less than 14 lines left on the page. Apparently this "feature" is  because it wants to make sure a page-break doesn't occur in the middle of a record.

Anyway, I've worked around it by redesigning the table to include a single memo field containing up to the 13 lines, allowing me to reduce the detail to 2 lines and using "Stretch with overflow" for the 2nd line. That works ok for me. Thanks!

Steve

Friday, February 17, 2012 5:22 PM
  • Not enough room to put them horizontally, but solved the problen anyway (see my response to EnglishBob2, above). Thanks.

Steve

Friday, February 17, 2012 5:24 PM
  • I have a similar problem.
    I have a band detail with data grouped into 3 columns (the report has one column) to the latest data (column 3) is a memo with "Stretch with overflow", and 1 line over 4 lines with checked option "Remove line if blank" and marked as "Float"
    This makes me leave at the end of the detail n blank lines as lines have been printed optional

Google translation

Example Structure Detail Band

<Field 1 allways                               > <Field 2 allways                    >  <Field 3 (memo)  "Stretch with overflow">

<Field "Remove line if blank" >

<Field "Remove line if blank" > <Field "Remove line if blank" >

<Field "Remove line if blank" >

<Field "Remove line if blank" > <Field "Remove line if blank" >

• Edited by balger_ar Monday, February 4, 2013 3:15 PM
    Monday, February 4, 2013 2:51 PM
  • I'm not sure I totally understand, but does your report behave as if it was ignoring your "Remove line if blank" settings?

Sometimes I found the times I couldn't make the report behave exactly as I want, I figure a way to modify the data container (dbf) or even split the data into 2 or more dbf's, adding memo field or whatever, as I described in this thread. HTH.

Steve

Monday, February 4, 2013 4:34 PM
  • Yes, removing the blank line does work. The problem was the report writer started a new page when there were less than 14 lines left on the page. Apparently this "feature" is  because it wants to make sure a page-break doesn't occur in the middle of a record.

Anyway, I've worked around it by redesigning the table to include a single memo field containing up to the 13 lines, allowing me to reduce the detail to 2 lines and using "Stretch with overflow" for the 2nd line. That works ok for me. Thanks!

Steve

Steven:

To print all a record in the same page I sig.
    1 - added 1 new numeric field (page)
    2 - story lines and group them to print on each sheet (page field)
    3 - new "group band for" page field "

regards

Google translation

Monday, February 4, 2013 4:37 PM