none
What is RebootRequiredCheck checking?

Question

• My installer is shelling out install SQL Express 2012.  Before it does so it is checking this Registry Value:

Key: System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager  Value: PendingFileRenameOperations

However, even when it is empty the SQL Express installer is sometimes failing the RebootRequiredCheck.

Anyone know what else the SQL Express installer is checking for the RebootRequiredCheck?

Thanks.

• Edited by Neil Weicher Wednesday, November 9, 2016 4:02 PM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2016 4:02 PM

Answers

• When Setup checks for pending reboots it checks two places:

1. PendingFileRenameOperations value as you have above

2. Windows Update database

If you're checking PendingFileRenameOperations and it's empty then it's likely Windows Update has scheduled a reboot.

Regarding SkipRules, it's undocumented for a reason. The rules that are executed during a setup operation are there to identify any issues that may prevent a successful setup operation. Skipping one or more of these rules might get you past the rule failure but could cause issues during the actual setup operation.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 11:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Neil,

To skip the reboot check:

SkipRules=RebootRequiredCheck

To hide the console window:

HIDECONSOLE=True

Full command line/.ini file options can be found here. The SkipRules option is not documented there and appears to be part of the general installer options.

Refer  in following link

http://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/38775/how-can-i-skip-reboot-check-and-remove-command-line-appearing-during-install-of#

Please click Mark As Answer if my post helped.

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 7:13 PM
  • Thanks.  I know about the SkipRules thing. I was just wondering if anyone knows what it is actually checking?
    Wednesday, November 9, 2016 7:21 PM
  • Hello,

The RebootRequiredCheck means you may have installed another software that required a restart of your computer to finish installation and you may have choose to install SQL Server instead of restarting the computer. This check request a restart of your computer prior to install SQL Server.

Please try the workaround suggested by the following Microsoft Support article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2008982

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 7:51 PM
  • When Setup checks for pending reboots it checks two places:

1. PendingFileRenameOperations value as you have above

2. Windows Update database

If you're checking PendingFileRenameOperations and it's empty then it's likely Windows Update has scheduled a reboot.

Regarding SkipRules, it's undocumented for a reason. The rules that are executed during a setup operation are there to identify any issues that may prevent a successful setup operation. Skipping one or more of these rules might get you past the rule failure but could cause issues during the actual setup operation.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 11:57 PM