Create App Package Wizard broken for multiple architectures

Question

• When I want to create a package for the Store the Wizard is broken. I select x64 and x86 arch release builds (btw, the wizard should only allow release builds for Store packages). The VS then goes to build both arch but only the x86 package lands in the AppPackages folder. 

I have to run the wizard again and only select x64 to create a package for it.

This works as expected if I create local packages though. Both packages are generated then.

• Moved by John-P Friday, June 15, 2012 11:04 PM issue with tool (From:Windows Store: Publishing Metro Style apps for Windows 8)
    Friday, June 15, 2012 7:05 AM

All replies

• Are you seeing Debug builds listed under Solution Configuration when you package for the Store?

When you create a package for the Store, can you tell me what is selected under Solution Configuration for both x64 and x86? Then in the Configuraiton Manager which you can access by going to the Build menu, can you tell me what you see under the Project grid when those Solution Configurations is selected?

When you create local packages and it worked, which Solution Configuration did you have selected?

Monday, June 18, 2012 9:51 PM
  • I see this dialog when I want to create a package for the store:

I see those options in the x86 box:

And I select x86 (but it does not seem to matter). Our project is a mixed Mode project with WinJS app and WinRT C++ components.

The x64 is built in VS but the package is not created. Only the x86 package is created.

If you need more input or want a live presentation via TeamViewer please let me know.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 2:29 PM
  • Did you check the checkbox for "x86"? I only see "x64" checked.

Can you also show a screenshot of the Configuration Manager dialog when Solution Configuration is set to "Release | x86" and "Release | x64"?

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 9:34 PM
  • Yes of course I always check both platforms. The thing is, as I described, then only the x86 version is built.

Why is there even a Win32 and x86 configuration to choose from? Why hasnt MS changed the old Win32 to x86 a long time ago?

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 12:42 PM
  • Everything looks correct. I'm very interested in how you came to repro this problem. Can you repro this with a simpler solution and share your repro steps?

RE: The x86 versus Win32 problem. This has been the case for native developers that they use Win32 instead of x86 so the VC team decided to keep it this way for now.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 6:32 PM