none
Problems in VS2015 express for Windows Desktop

Question

• Hi all.

I am using Visual Studio Express for Windows Desktop and I find two problems:

First problem:

When I start VS2015 the toolbox appears as first image (no lines). Now I open the option "Choose items" and close it even without changes: the toolbox now has lines as in second image. To restore the aspect I have to close and re-open VS2015.

Two folders are created in Desktop: DTAR_08E86330_4835_4B5C_9E5A_61F37AE1A077_DTAR and obj both empty.

Second problema:

I create a new Project in Visual Basic->Classic Desktop. The Project WindowsApplication1 is created and Form1 is opened by the designer. I close the form and rename it: Form1->Form2 and choose "Rename all references".

When I try to open Form2 with the designer an error occurs: "The class Form1 can be designed, but is not the first class in the file. Move the class code so that it is the first class in the file and try loading the designer again".

Editing the code I can see that the first line remains "Partial Class Form1". Changing to "Partial Class Form2" everything is now OK. Rename not working?

Are these bugs of VS2015 or I have a problem in my system?

I have already reinstalled VS2015 (14.0.25123.00 update 2) but problems ramain.

My computer Acer E5-571 OS Windows 10 (1511 10586.420)

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 4:25 PM

Answers

• Hi CarlosZagalo,

>>But I found that the refered folders where only created if when I start VS2015 from the desktop, where I have a link. If started directly from the program location the folders where not created. Creating a new link solved this problem

It doesn't generate the folders in my side even I open the VS2015 from my desktop. I suppose something is wrong with your VS2015 installation. Not sure why have this problem. You could try to repair your VS2015.

Also to avoid this problem. I suggest you could open your VS2015 from the program location at first.

In addition,  try to install and use the VS2015 Community.  

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Monday, June 27, 2016 5:57 AM

All replies

• Hi

I can't say about your first point regarding Toolbox.

Your second point. Why do you want to rename Form1 to Form2 - wouldn't it be easier to just add a new Form to the project (which would be Form2 by default)?

If you really do want to do that, then you would need to go to Project->Properties->Application->StartUp form and adjust there. You can get there by right click on Project from Project Explorer and at bottom - Properties.

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

• Edited by leshay Tuesday, June 21, 2016 4:34 PM
    Tuesday, June 21, 2016 4:30 PM
  • For the first issue, select from the IDE menu, Tools -> Options. Now try changing the settings below and see if that helps with the lines in the toolbox

Item 2, you should only rename the form via Solution Explorer by right clicking on the form, select rename. So if I want to change Form1 to Form2 it's done there.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 8:19 PM
  • Thank you for answering.

Item 1

I tried to change color theme from Dark to Blue. Lines disappears. Changing again to Dark, lines appears.

There is a problem with the theme Dark. In any case the folders are always created in Desktop.

Item 2

I do the renaming as you suggested.

But I have found that the error only apears if the form is closed. It Works OK if the form is opened in the designer.

Anyway, thank you again.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 11:51 PM
  • Hi CarlosZagalo,

This forum is about the VB.NET programming, as your issue is more related to the Visual Studio itself, we help you move it to the Visual Studio General Questions forum for better support.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Albert Zhang

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 8:29 AM
  • Hi CarlosZagalo,

>>There is a problem with the theme Dark. In any case the folders are always created in Desktop.

I did a test in my side and there is no such folders generated. The version of my Visual Studio Express for Desktop is 2015 update2. When did the folder generate?

For the item2,

>>But I have found that the error only appears if the form is closed

I have the same problem to yours. So I think this behavior is by design. So if you want to rename the form , make sure the designer is opened.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Thursday, June 23, 2016 5:35 AM
  • Hi Lake Xiao, thank you for answering.

Item 1

The folders I refer are created as soon as I select "Toolbox->Choose items".

The version of my Visual Studio Express for Desktop is 2015 (14.0.25123.00) update 2.

Item 2

I'm happy to know I'm not alone.

Best Regards

Carlos Zagalo

Thursday, June 23, 2016 11:07 AM
  • Hi Carlos Zagalo,

Thanks for your response.

>>The folders I refer are created as soon as I select "Toolbox->Choose items".

There is no folders generated in my side when I choose items in Toolbox. Please reset the setting of your Visual Studio then try it again.(Tools->Import and Export Settings)

In addition, I suggest you could use VS2015 Community instead of using Express version. The Community version is also a free version. And the function is better than Express version.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Friday, June 24, 2016 1:24 AM
  • Hi Lake Xiao

Thank you for answering

Reseting the settings did not resolve any problem.

But I found that the refered folders where only created if when I start VS2015 from the desktop, where I have a link. If started directly from the program location the folders where not created. Creating a new link solved this problem.

I also found that these folders also exists in Windows\SysWOW64 and the folder obj contains three more folders: Debug, x86 and x86\Debug. These folders where created the first time I installed VS2015.

Something went wrong with the first instalation, I think, so I rename then

Now only remains the problem of the underline that apears when I choose items for the toolbox, if  the theme is Dark.

Sunday, June 26, 2016 11:29 PM
  • Hi CarlosZagalo,

>>But I found that the refered folders where only created if when I start VS2015 from the desktop, where I have a link. If started directly from the program location the folders where not created. Creating a new link solved this problem

It doesn't generate the folders in my side even I open the VS2015 from my desktop. I suppose something is wrong with your VS2015 installation. Not sure why have this problem. You could try to repair your VS2015.

Also to avoid this problem. I suggest you could open your VS2015 from the program location at first.

In addition,  try to install and use the VS2015 Community.  

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Monday, June 27, 2016 5:57 AM
  • Hi Lake Xiao

The problema of the folders is solved.

The underline remains, but VS2015 Works.

Thank you once more.

Best Regards

Monday, June 27, 2016 4:16 PM