Layer diagrams and namespaces RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I'm trying to model namespaces and sub-namespaces in a layer diagram.

Three namespaces:

- A
    - A.AB
    - C

Each namespace sits in its separate layer. The three layers have the following dependencies:

A.AB -> A because classes in A.AB use classes in A
    A.AB -> C because classes in A.AB also use classes in C

The validation now reports a missing dependency A -> C, because the A.AB classes are aparently also considered part of the A namespace.

Is there any way around this and keep the layer referencing the A namespace from including all subnamespaces? I definitely don't want to nest the A and A.AB layers.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Markus

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 4:13 PM

Answers

• Hmm, unfortunately that’s currently by design. When you associate a namespace with a layer, it associates all nested namespaces too. Normally, that is what you want. But we found ourselves that sometimes it would be nice to put exceptions – especially in the case where you have tests in a sub-namespace.  The only workaround is to associate all the types directly. I understand that is a pain though.

-Chris.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 10:18 AM

All replies

• After trying for 10mins, I am still not able to get the question properly. 

Assume the following: A business logic layer where business entities are listed- order, customer (AB)

Assume another layer called data access where- commit to database (A) and commit by calling some service or commit to file (C)

why will A have missing dependency on C. Can you provide with order mgmt or some other realistic example as to what exactly you are trying to achieve.

-Phani

Monday, September 27, 2010 10:18 AM
  • Hmm, unfortunately that’s currently by design. When you associate a namespace with a layer, it associates all nested namespaces too. Normally, that is what you want. But we found ourselves that sometimes it would be nice to put exceptions – especially in the case where you have tests in a sub-namespace.  The only workaround is to associate all the types directly. I understand that is a pain though.

-Chris.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 10:18 AM