The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Azure Active Directory!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

Conditional access policy issues for some users RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Some users are getting errors accessing Excel Online - "your office 365 admin has set a conditional access policy that restricts your access to excel online."

We have a conditional access policy that requires MFA when coming from external locations. MFA is used to access office.com successfully, then when user clicks Excel icon they get the error. Outlook, Teams etc all work fine. It doesn't happen to all users though, and I cannot recreate the error myself. I've checked the Azure AD audit for the users and there are no failed logins, and a What-If on the conditional access policies for the user should not restrict access to Office 365. Any ideas?

Logged on the Office 365 support but they sent me here.

Thanks!

Monday, March 18, 2019 10:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Voyco,

Two things to try: 

1.       Temporary disable the MFA of that user account to check if the same problem will occur.

2.       Check the existing conditional access policies as this article described.

Does it go away if you disable the conditional access policy? 

Monday, March 18, 2019 8:47 PM
  • Does this happen only for documents stored in specific SPO/ODFB sites?
    Tuesday, March 19, 2019 5:24 AM
  • Were you able to resolve this issue?
    Wednesday, April 3, 2019 11:46 PM
  • Not yet. I have raised a ticket with O365 support who told me to raise with Azure AD support regarding Conditional Access. I have done this but initial triage has not found any issues with our policies that would cause this, and the logs show no obvious reason as to the issues. The user who had the initial issue is on holiday now, and I've not been able to replicate it myself.

If he goes to OneDrive and select new Excel doc, it works fine, but not by clicking Excel on the waffle and clicking new. Very odd.

Thursday, April 4, 2019 8:36 AM
  • Did you ever get an answer on this?
    Monday, December 2, 2019 10:54 PM
  • No, the issue went away for the user and we had no other reports of it. The support tickets I raised had no actions taken so it may have been a bug that was cleared during an update
    Tuesday, December 3, 2019 9:52 AM