Custom component - unsigned .net library referencing problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We are developing custom components in SSIS (Connection manager and Source/Destination Adapter).
    We are hitting Road Block when we trying to reference some .net library dll's which are not in GAC and other third party dll's.
    Deployment of these components need the components to be signed with strong name. (Either GAC or RegAsm)
    We tried signing our current project but there is a build error which says that the referenced assemblies are not signed.
    I know that we need to ask the dll providers to sign it for us, but as a quick fix I tried to signed the .net library dll's and third party dll's, GACed all the dll's and copied to PipelineComponents/Connections folders.
    But now am getting the following build error

The type '<dotnet class>' is defined in an assembly that is not referenced. You must add a reference to assembly '<dll name>, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

'<dotnet class>' does not contain a definition for '<method name>' and no extension method '<method name>' accepting a first argument of type '<dontnet class>' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

This means it is asking for the original dll (without signing). The problem here MIGHT BE because referenced assemblies of the libraries are not signed.

Can you suggest me a quick fix to this problem and also a permanent fix (getting the dll's signed from third party, but I doubt if i can get .net library dll's signed by Microsoft :), is there any alternative).

your suggestions/directions/pointers are highly appreciated.

Thanks
    Varadaraj

Friday, June 3, 2011 12:34 PM

Answers

• I do not see any other remedy other than asking that third party to strong sign the assemblies.

But there is also a way of temporary signing the assemblies (I did not have this scenario yet).

So please try to follow this MSDN post on how to delay sign an assembly: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/t07a3dye%28v=vs.80%29.aspx

As a side note, awhile ago I was doing some .Net GUI development and this trick worked for testing purposes for a DLL supplied by a vendor.

Arthur My Blog
    By: TwitterButtons.com
    • Proposed as answer by Jerry Nee Monday, June 6, 2011 10:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jerry Nee Saturday, June 25, 2011 6:07 AM
    Friday, June 3, 2011 2:26 PM