Ok to Update?

Question

• I started writting my C++ direct3D game on the developer preview and have not yet updated to the consumer preview.  starting today I am getting messages when I try to run my app that I need a developer license.  I thought now would be a good time to update to the consumer preview and had some questions:

Is it true that you can develop Metro apps on the consumer preview with dev studio 11 express and Windows SDK's installed?

Do you have to get the 64 bit consumer preview or is the 32 bit preview ok?

Is there any benefit of staying with the developer preview?

Is there at least one person who has sucessfully updated their primary development environment from devloper to consumer preview?

I tried this for a few hours when the consumer preview came out and found that I could not share my app with my consumer preview PC, nor could I open and run the project file contining all the source.  So I tried to create a template basic DirectX/C++ app and move all of my source into that project.  Nothing worked so I gave up and now I am back to the same spot.  anybody can share how long it took them to port to consumer preview development with C++/Direct3D metro app?

thanks!

www.puttnutz.com

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:46 PM

Answers

• I strongly recommend that you move to the Consumer Preview.

You can develop on either the 32-bit or 64-bit Consumer Preview with either the Visual Studio 11 Express beta or full Visual Studio 11 beta. Both come with the latest SDK.

I can't think of any significant benefit to staying with the Developer Preview. There are a lot of breaking changes between the Developer Preview and the Consumer Preview, but you'll need to deal with those at some point and better to do so now than to write more code that will need to be migrated. There is a whitepaper on how to migrate your app linked from the sticky post in this forum Migrating Windows 8 Developer Preview code to Consumer Preview.

--Rob

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:51 PM
    Owner

All replies

• I strongly recommend that you move to the Consumer Preview.

You can develop on either the 32-bit or 64-bit Consumer Preview with either the Visual Studio 11 Express beta or full Visual Studio 11 beta. Both come with the latest SDK.

I can't think of any significant benefit to staying with the Developer Preview. There are a lot of breaking changes between the Developer Preview and the Consumer Preview, but you'll need to deal with those at some point and better to do so now than to write more code that will need to be migrated. There is a whitepaper on how to migrate your app linked from the sticky post in this forum Migrating Windows 8 Developer Preview code to Consumer Preview.

--Rob

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:51 PM
    Owner
  • Ok, so that was not too bad of a port/update.  The one thing that really threw me for a coupe of days is that I think in the developer preview in debug mode it did not fill uninitialized data with that funy debug pattern.  In the consumer preview in debug mode it does fill unitiialized data with that funny pattern.

So I spent a few days off in left field, which was really my own fault for sloppy c++ coding, but I have been working in c# for the past few years where this is not a problem.

www.puttnutz.com

Thursday, April 26, 2012 7:27 PM
  • Get in the habit of resolving compiler warnings, turn up the warning level (/W4 or even /Wall and the disable a few of the more noisy ones), and learn how to use Code Analysis (/analyze). These things will help find problems like this and worse very quickly.
    Friday, April 27, 2012 1:03 AM