Windows Store 8.1 KIOSK Applications - Assigned Access Mode

Question

• It is not difficult to see the possibilities of advanced Kiosk type applications being powered by the Metro/RT framework. It's rich and inviting user interface perfectly aligns to such requirements.

Unfortunately it seems near impossible to restrict the user experience to such a Kiosk model. The inability to prevent special key use or disabling charms makes a captured Kiosk environment almost impossible.

Shame that once again we are only halfway to an excellent environment. Why does Microsoft almost never think outside the box? is it a permanent culture?

I have great hopes for the UI in many cross device solutions - Total unified experience.

Saturday, January 25, 2014 4:52 AM

Answers

• Kiosk mode (aka "Assigned Access") is a system setting, not something that apps can control. You'll find more discussion of it on the TechNet forums, but for starters take a look at the Assigned access: FAQ

--Rob

Saturday, January 25, 2014 5:24 AM
  • I believe that there is a REST service available to talk to the Lync server, but you'll need to check on the Lync forums to confirm and for details.

--Rob

Saturday, February 1, 2014 8:09 AM

All replies

• Kiosk mode (aka "Assigned Access") is a system setting, not something that apps can control. You'll find more discussion of it on the TechNet forums, but for starters take a look at the Assigned access: FAQ

--Rob

Saturday, January 25, 2014 5:24 AM
  • Thx Rob.
    Saturday, January 25, 2014 5:29 AM
  • That looks great Rob, here is our problem, i'm interested in your opinion if I may...

We need our WinRT Kiosk application to have Lync support. problem is there is no WinRT Lync SDK support. If we go down the "Assigned Access" route then we cant use Lync 2013 SDK in hidden UI mode as we assume there is no way to get two apps running in "Assigned Access".

A LyncRT SDK would be a godsend at this time...

WinRT is an absolute road map for us, its just proving to be very difficult in quite a few areas.

You're thoughts are much appreciated

Craig.

Sunday, January 26, 2014 12:08 PM
  • I believe that there is a REST service available to talk to the Lync server, but you'll need to check on the Lync forums to confirm and for details.

--Rob

Saturday, February 1, 2014 8:09 AM