ASP.NET - Could not load type Global.asax compilation error RRS feed

• Question

• User879129561 posted

I have a website which was compiling fine.

It has a Global.asax file of the following code:

<%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.cs" Inherits="MyClass.Global" %>

Now it is throwing an error: Could not load type 'MyClass.Global'  in the file Global.asax file

I have seen a solution whereby one would change the output folder from: 

Project Properties

and set the 

build>output

folder to 

bin/

which was 

bin/Debug

I just can't find this menu. I saw Property Pages which has a build option - but I can't find anywhere to set the build output to the bin folder.

Can you please guide me to the correct menu.

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 11:48 AM

Answers

• User1563932795 posted

The "Build output path" can by found by right-clicking on your ASP.NET Project in Solution Explorer and selecting Properties.  Then on the Project Properties window click on Compile and there is were the "Build output path" is.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 12:08 PM

All replies

• User1563932795 posted

The "Build output path" can by found by right-clicking on your ASP.NET Project in Solution Explorer and selecting Properties.  Then on the Project Properties window click on Compile and there is were the "Build output path" is.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 12:08 PM
  • User879129561 posted

Hi Darren, 

This is an ASP.NET website. In solution explorer, there is the "Solution" icon and below it the "Website" icon.

If I right click on "Solution" there is a "Properties" option. Selecting that brings me to "Common Properties" or "Configuration Properties". But there is no "Compile" option.

If I right click on "Website" icon - there is "Property Pages" option. I have the ability to select "Build" but there is no output folder.

There is MSBuild options which has an Output folder, and I set it to the root/bin location - but I don't think this is the correct place as it didn't resolve the problem. Also, the path was originally set to My Documents \ Visual Studio \ Projects \ My Project \ PrecompiledWeb ...

I was expecting to find something like     Website Folder \ Bin \ Debug

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 12:40 PM
  • User879129561 posted

Actually, I opened the solution as a web site - in fact it has a .csproj file - so I reopened it as a project.

Apparently, with the website you can't have the .asax code in a different file.

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 1:39 PM
  • User1563932795 posted

Ah ok there is no "Build output path" for a Website Project which is your case.  The "Build output path" is only an option for Web Application Projects. 

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 1:45 PM