Staging Map Control API? RRS feed

• Question

• I just read in the Implementing Customer Identification article that there is a Staging URL for the Map Control API. But it seems like you would only need to use this if you are getting a token from the Stagig VE Web Service and then setting that token on the client-side (for map usage tracking), since a token in the Staging environment is not valid in the production environment.

Is there any other reason (like avoiding transaction costs/billing) to use the Staging Map Control API in our non-production environments?

-Randy
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 2:32 PM

Answers

• the main purpose of the staging environment is to give users a place to test their applications without having to pay for transactions. Accounts that have production access have more features which are only available if a token is used. As such in order to test these features a staging token can be used. The staging environment is often used for demos and POCs. Also the Virtual Earth Web services cannot be used without a client token.
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 3:35 PM
  • That is incorrect. All versions of virtual Earth JS control, and Web services incur transactions. A detailed list of the different transactions can be found at the bottom of the Implementing Client Identification article. If you are using the map for commercial use, government use, behind a network (unavailable to the public) then you have to use client tokens as per the service agreement. I'm uncertain if there is a list of features that are available if a production account is used. I do know that the route geometry is available with a production account. There is a good chance that some future features may only be available to production clients.
    Monday, November 17, 2008 2:24 PM

All replies

• the main purpose of the staging environment is to give users a place to test their applications without having to pay for transactions. Accounts that have production access have more features which are only available if a token is used. As such in order to test these features a staging token can be used. The staging environment is often used for demos and POCs. Also the Virtual Earth Web services cannot be used without a client token.
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 3:35 PM
  • If I understand correctly, only usage of the back-end Web Services incurs transaction costs, while usage of the JavaScript Map Control API is free? All of the sample code for the JS Map Control API on MSDN refers to the production Map Control URL, and the only time the staging map control URL is even mentioned is under the "Implementing Customer Identification" article (which itself requires use of the Web Service in order to get a token in the first place).

Also, is there some place which documents exactly what "extra features" you get when using a token? Are these "extra features" only in the Web Service, or are there "extra features" in the Map Control as well?
    Monday, November 17, 2008 2:15 PM
  • That is incorrect. All versions of virtual Earth JS control, and Web services incur transactions. A detailed list of the different transactions can be found at the bottom of the Implementing Client Identification article. If you are using the map for commercial use, government use, behind a network (unavailable to the public) then you have to use client tokens as per the service agreement. I'm uncertain if there is a list of features that are available if a production account is used. I do know that the route geometry is available with a production account. There is a good chance that some future features may only be available to production clients.
    Monday, November 17, 2008 2:24 PM