none
Finding Office 2010 Ribbon customization info RRS feed

• Question

• Plenty of Google hits but most return outdated info on Office 2007 from six or more years ago now. Ancient history for all practical purposes.

Where can I find, if it exists, a clearing house of info regarding Office 2010 ribbon customization and detailed reference? I need to drill down to idMso and imageMso values, not some 5 minute introductory video. It's maddening trying to find up-to-date info.

Thanks!

Friday, July 27, 2012 4:13 PM

Answers

• The best place to start is the Office dev site specializing in the "Office Fluent UI":
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/office/aa905530.aspx

Pretty much everything that has to do with the Ribbon, itself, is the same as for 2007. The only thing that's changed would be the new commands in the various Office applications, meaning there'd be new idMso. But the basics of working with the Ribbon are the same.

New in 2010 are the parts of the Ribbon XML that allow you to define Backstage and right-click menus.

As to the idMsos, there's a download (second link on the above page under "References") available  that has lists of the idMso for each application (a ZIP file with numerous Excel workbooks). But I don't know of a similar resource specifically for imageMso.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP

• Marked as answer by ITMn0403 Saturday, July 28, 2012 2:21 PM
    Saturday, July 28, 2012 1:00 PM

All replies

• The best place to start is the Office dev site specializing in the "Office Fluent UI":
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/office/aa905530.aspx

Pretty much everything that has to do with the Ribbon, itself, is the same as for 2007. The only thing that's changed would be the new commands in the various Office applications, meaning there'd be new idMso. But the basics of working with the Ribbon are the same.

New in 2010 are the parts of the Ribbon XML that allow you to define Backstage and right-click menus.

As to the idMsos, there's a download (second link on the above page under "References") available  that has lists of the idMso for each application (a ZIP file with numerous Excel workbooks). But I don't know of a similar resource specifically for imageMso.

• Marked as answer by ITMn0403 Saturday, July 28, 2012 2:21 PM
    Saturday, July 28, 2012 1:00 PM
  • Thank you Cindy!
    Saturday, July 28, 2012 2:21 PM
  • This is the kind of silliness that is driving me bat-shit crazy.

Here is the download for: "Office 2010 Reference: Office Fluent User Interface XML Schema" - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=1574

Great. Only the installation doesn't prompt you to install in any particular location, and it doesn't create a Start Menu shortcut, so where is the damn thing? Well I just so happend across it here (I think): C:\Office 2010 Developer Resources\Schemas. Well that's kind of random. Might have expected it to be under Program Files\Office right?

Great. So what is there? An XSD file. Great, now I've got to be versed on that. So all they can offier on documentation is an heavily commented XSD file? Say I want to know what the valid options are for a combobox ribbon control.

It's just, really? Why does this have to be a black art? Argh!

Furthermore: Blog entries by some MS employee tucked away in building 234, floor 34, section 16, cubicle 55, doesn't constitute "documentation".

• Edited by ITMn0403 Thursday, August 9, 2012 8:21 PM
    Thursday, August 9, 2012 8:16 PM
  • As I said, in order to find out about the Ribbon controls, read the three-part article written for 2007. There's no difference in how the Ribbon controls are implemented. All the properties, the callbacks, etc. are in the second and third parts.

Sunday, August 19, 2012 9:46 AM