To see the backend of a form RRS feed

• Question

• Hello team,

I have started working in a company and today was my first day, I was shown a form and I need to work with that form that the previous employee built it.

I want to see the back end of the database, all the tables and queries and so on...

I hold shift button and I right clicked on the database, but it doesn't open the back end.

Any help,

GGGGGNNNNN

GGGGGNNNNN

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 3:37 AM

Answers

• In first instance you wrote "I want to see the back end of the database". Excuse me if that leads me to think the database is split.

Anyway, design the form, and check the RecordSource property. It tells you what this form is bound to.

Since you apparently have a monolithic app (all objects in one file), the tables would be right there in the Navigation Pane. You may have to select the option to view "All Access Objects" from the dropdown button at the top of the Navigation Pane.

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

• Proposed as answer by Dummy yoyo Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dummy yoyo Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:34 AM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:49 AM

All replies

• Just to see tables and queries (what would be the "backend") you can create a new database and link these objects.
    Anyway, if the application is split into Frontend/Backend this will not be the backend. If you want to find the backend then you can open a VBA window (Ctrl+g) and there read the Connect string of any linked table. Then you should see where the backend is and can link those objects into your new database.

HTH
    Henry

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:18 AM
  • hello Henry,

It is not split to backend and frontend. It is a form and I need to see the tables and queries for this form.

GGGGGNNNNN

GGGGGNNNNN

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:23 AM
  • In first instance you wrote "I want to see the back end of the database". Excuse me if that leads me to think the database is split.

Anyway, design the form, and check the RecordSource property. It tells you what this form is bound to.

Since you apparently have a monolithic app (all objects in one file), the tables would be right there in the Navigation Pane. You may have to select the option to view "All Access Objects" from the dropdown button at the top of the Navigation Pane.

• Proposed as answer by Dummy yoyo Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dummy yoyo Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:34 AM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:49 AM
  • Tom,

I have figured this out. I have to hold the Shift Key and then right click the file and in the shortcut menu, I need to select open.

Thank you very much for your help.

Guity

GGGGGNNNNN

Thursday, February 14, 2013 5:45 AM
  • Excellent work.

Holding down the Shift key means that the AutoExec macro does not run. If the app is setup with this macro (which runs at startup time) to hide certain features from you, this is indeed a good work around.

Friday, February 15, 2013 1:57 AM