Silent console app? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have a very small console app. I just want it to run and no flash at all. I found a couple of ways do this, but I can't seem to get it to work.

Code Snippet

Sub Main()

Shell("D:\PVAT\setup.exe", AppWinStyle.Hide)

Dim fileExists As Boolean

fileExists = My.Computer.FileSystem.FileExists("C:\Program Files\PVAT\0229.exe")

If fileExists = False Then

System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("D:\PVAT\setup.exe")

End If

End Sub

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks!

Rudy

Thursday, March 13, 2008 3:32 PM

Answers

•  Rudemusik wrote:

I have a very small console app. I just want it to run and no flash at all. I found a couple of ways do this, but I can't seem to get it to work.

Hi Rudy,

To get rid of the flash effect, here are two suggestions:

1. Keep your console project code unchanged, change it to Windows Forms Application type like this:

Project menu -> Properties -> Application tab -> Application type

Code Snippet

Module Module1

Sub Main()

fileExists = My.Computer.FileSystem.FileExists("C:\Program Files\PVAT\0229.exe")

End If

End Sub

End Module

2. Create Windows Forms Application instead of the Console Application.

Code Snippet

Public Class Form1

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

Me.Hide() ' Hide form

End If

End Sub

End Class

If I misunderstood you, please clarify your question further. 

Regards,

Martin

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 10:10 AM
  •  Rudemusik wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have a program that is written in VS 2008, vb.net.  This program is working with an other program, built in Wonderware, a windows based developer program.  When this other program starts, I need to install my application silently.  There is a check to see if the program is installed, then it will cease the install, and with all the user prompts off.  I still get a small flash during the check or install.  I need it to be completly seamless.

Hi Rudy,

You can create your application as a Silent Installation package (without user interaction) using several tools:

1. Using Wix (Windows Installer XML) to automate your build process to create MSI file.

MSI insatallation package supports unattended application installation: Installation packages can be configured to require no installation process interaction from the user. During the installation process, Windows Installer can query the computer for desktop attributes, including determining whether any applications were previously installed by Windows Installer.

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_do_i_install_a_msi_windows_download.html

2. Using Setup Factory 5.0 to create a Silent Installation package.

http://www.indigorose.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5384

If you mean making a background installation package so that it can be installed at the background unconsciously, that may be related to hacker technology, or you can play with the following tools to try creating own installation package.

ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects forum is here:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=6&SiteID=1

Best regards,

Martin

Thursday, March 20, 2008 4:13 AM

All replies

•  Rudemusik wrote:

Hi Rudy,

To get rid of the flash effect, here are two suggestions:

1. Keep your console project code unchanged, change it to Windows Forms Application type like this:

Project menu -> Properties -> Application tab -> Application type

Code Snippet

Module Module1

Sub Main()

End If

End Sub

End Module

2. Create Windows Forms Application instead of the Console Application.

Code Snippet

Public Class Form1

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

Me.Hide() ' Hide form

End If

End Sub

End Class

If I misunderstood you, please clarify your question further. 

Regards,

Martin

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 10:10 AM
  • Hi Martin!

Thanks for the suggestion.  Let me lay out the bigger picture.  I have a program that I wrote , that is working with another program, not made with visual studio.  When this other program starts, I want to install my program.  Now there is a condition that it will check if there is a program there, if it is, it won't install. But during the install program, with all of the user interface prompts off, it still flashes a screen for a second.  I need it so there is no way the user knows it's checking to install, or install my program. I'm using VS 2008, and the other program is written in Wonderware.

I would just like it to look seamless to the end user.  Any other suggestion?

Thanks!

Rudy

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 1:19 PM
  • Hi Martin!

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have a program that is written in VS 2008, vb.net.  This program is working with an other program, built in Wonderware, a windows based developer program.  When this other program starts, I need to install my application silently.  There is a check to see if the program is installed, then it will cease the install, and with all the user prompts off.  I still get a small flash during the check or install.  I need it to be completly seamless.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Rudy

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 1:24 PM
  •  Rudemusik wrote:

Hi Rudy,

You can create your application as a Silent Installation package (without user interaction) using several tools:

1. Using Wix (Windows Installer XML) to automate your build process to create MSI file.

MSI insatallation package supports unattended application installation: Installation packages can be configured to require no installation process interaction from the user. During the installation process, Windows Installer can query the computer for desktop attributes, including determining whether any applications were previously installed by Windows Installer.

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_do_i_install_a_msi_windows_download.html

2. Using Setup Factory 5.0 to create a Silent Installation package.

http://www.indigorose.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5384

If you mean making a background installation package so that it can be installed at the background unconsciously, that may be related to hacker technology, or you can play with the following tools to try creating own installation package.

ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects forum is here:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=6&SiteID=1

Best regards,

Martin

Thursday, March 20, 2008 4:13 AM
  • Pefect!  Alot of options.

Thanks for the info Martin!

Rudy

Friday, March 21, 2008 3:55 PM