none
Staging instance not showing up in Visual Studio RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

As of a few days ago when the transition from "Azure Websites" to the new "App Service" model, the staging websites do not show up in Visual Studio Server explorer.

Details:

Before, if I opened Visual Studio Server Explorer->Azure->Websites I could see both my production and "staging" websites and then click on the staging and do things like connecting a debugger.

Now: Under Visual Studio->Azure->App Service->Default-Web-WestUS only my main website, not its staging, shows up.

Therefore I can't do any runtime things like change files on the fly or debug my staging website.

Thanks

Friday, March 27, 2015 5:49 PM

Answers

• The Web Tools team discovered this issue following the 2.5.1 release. We are working on a repair for this now, and hope to release a fix for this very quickly. Once the fix is released we'll announce the change on the team blog, and I'll update this thread with a notice that the fix is out. 

Thursday, April 2, 2015 4:47 PM

All replies

• Hello Amitai R,

It is possible and unlikely that this would have to do anything to do with the change in name.
    I suggest that you check the following to ensure.

1. Check if the staging slots are availaible within on the management portal.
    Please open the management portal and expand your website to check if the staging slots are reflecting under it.

If the slots are available, I suggest that you redownload the publish setting file from the management portal and connect to your Visual studio.

You can refer to this link that will give you information on that:

http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/cloud-services-continuous-delivery-use-vso/#step5

Thanks,
    Syed Irfan Hussain

Saturday, March 28, 2015 12:22 PM
  • I think you may have not read my question before answering.

Publish settings has nothing to do with the "Server Explorer" tab in Visual Studio. We aren't talking about publishing but rather about seeing an existing slot in the explorer. I am not talking about me renaming a staging slot, but Microsoft rebranding Azure Websites to be part of a larger "Azure App Service" which changed the hierarchy of the view in "Server Explorer".

Before the change in hierarchy all slots, production and others, of a deployment would show up under the "Websites" node. Now, only production slots appear under the <Name of data center> node.

Amitai

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 5:01 PM
  • I am having the same problem as Amitai. I am able to see my production sites under "App Service" in the "Server Explorer" and I am also able to debug the production sites. However, I am unable to view or debug my staging slots.

I have confirmed that "Remote debugging" is enabled for my staging slots and the correct version of Visual Studio is selected (2013).

I skimmed the article linked by Syed, I agree that it does not seem to address the problem.

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 10:07 PM
  • The Web Tools team discovered this issue following the 2.5.1 release. We are working on a repair for this now, and hope to release a fix for this very quickly. Once the fix is released we'll announce the change on the team blog, and I'll update this thread with a notice that the fix is out. 

Thursday, April 2, 2015 4:47 PM
  • Awesome, thanks @bradygaster for the quick turnaround and validating I'm not going crazy and it's just me...

Amitai

Thursday, April 2, 2015 4:52 PM
  • Is there any word on when this will be fixed? Is there a work around to connect the debugger while we wait for the fix?
    Wednesday, April 29, 2015 1:16 AM
  • In the 2.7.1 SDK update we did fix this issue. That said, there was a late-breaking API change after the 2.7.1 release that is causing slots functionality to break in a different way. We're working with the API team to get a fix released. Once I receive confirmation of this fix, I'll update the forum post to let folks know. There should not be a VS update required for developers to use the slots feature - rather when the API change goes in the feature should just light up again. Apologies for this, we're working to fix it. 
    Wednesday, September 30, 2015 5:49 PM
  • Hi Brady,

Is the 'slots functionality to break in a different way' related to the 'Error loading data' issue I keep seeing on staging slots (see attached image)?

I can see requests to /subscriptions are 404ing for staging slots, but get 200s for the main site, e.g.

200: /subscriptions/{id}/resourcegroups/Default-Web-WestEurope/providers/Microsoft.Web/sites/{sitename}/config/appsettings/list?api-version=2015-02-01

404: /subscriptions/{id}/resourcegroups/Default-Web-WestEurope/providers/Microsoft.Web/sites/{sitename}/{slotname}/config/appsettings/list?api-version=2015-02-01

I was able to debug a remote deployment slot last week for the first time in months, but I'm unable to today because of the issue above.

Thursday, October 1, 2015 1:09 PM
  • I am facing the same issue..

Microsoft Visual Studio

Unable to configure remote debugger.

Could not load properties

Could not load app settings

Could not load connection strings

All of sudden it has stopped working.. we are facing same issue in three different machines

I even tried with creating a new cloud VM with visual studio.. i got the same issue

Thursday, October 1, 2015 6:05 PM
  • @Nitin: this issue is very specific to Web Apps. If you are seeing a problem with Azure VM's (which is a completely different offering), then it is likely an unrelated issue.
    Thursday, October 1, 2015 6:20 PM
  • No I mean i tried creating a fresh VM.. The problem occurred there as well with the web apps 
    Thursday, October 1, 2015 6:57 PM
  • Can you clarify what you mean by VMs here? Do you mean App Service Plan? The term 'VM' in Azure is referring to a feature that is unrelated to Web Apps.
    Thursday, October 1, 2015 7:01 PM
  • Sorry for the confusion... We were unable to attach remote  debugger to web apps in our machine.. So we thought to create a new VM with Visual studio so that we can check there.. but it didn't work either
    Thursday, October 1, 2015 7:11 PM
  • Oh, I understand you now :)

Note that you should be able to use manual attach as a workaround until we fix this.

Thursday, October 1, 2015 7:18 PM
  • Just a quick update for everyone on this - we just received an update from the service team to let us know the change has gone into production. I just tested Visual Studio's slot-related features are functioning as expected. Please keep us posted if you see any other issues here, and thanks for the patience! Hats off to the service team for such a quick turnaround!
    Friday, October 2, 2015 6:35 PM
  • Our staging slots are not showing currently in VS 2015 server explorer so the fix might not have worked.

NOTE: The slots do show in VS 2013 Server Explorer

• Edited by Mike Beaty Monday, October 19, 2015 8:07 PM
    Monday, October 19, 2015 8:04 PM
  • Hello Mike Beaty,

I checked this with Visual Studio 2015 and find that the slots show up. I would suggest that you sign out of the account and sign in and see if that makes the difference.

Thanks,
    Syed Irfan Hussain

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 10:55 AM
  • I've signed in and out again, rebooted and done the same, cleared my cache etc.

My staging slots never show up in VS 2015, but do work in VS 2013. 

Very annoying.

Monday, November 30, 2015 8:43 PM
  • I am now getting this same error where I cannot attach to the debugger. But I am using VS 13.

The only thing I can recall installing before this stopped working is ASP.NET 5 RC1.

Can someone help? This of course came at the absolute worst time when I had a demo scheduled with a client, a bug surfaced last minute and I could not resolve it and had to push the client meeting. No fun at all :)

Microsoft Visual Studio

Unable to configure remote debugger.

Could not load properties

Could not load app settings

Could not load connection strings

Mark Brown

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 3:07 PM
  • Hi Syed,

I'm seeing this issue even after following the suggestions found on this thread:

Can not perform requested operation on nested resource. Parent resource 'xyz' not found.

Any suggestions about this?

Also, even manually trying to connect isn't happening for me. I just can't figure out how to authenticate to the website even after following the suggestions from the article written by Jaime Espinosa.

This is quite maddening to be completely honest because this glitch is a roadblock for me at this time.

I cannot move code to our production environment because I cannot prove the code I wrote works in our test Azure web site. I sure hope there is a solution for this.  

Please advise.

-- Update 12.14.2015 1:04 PM EST - Using the manual attach method, I was able to get past the authentication but I was doing this from VS 2015 and Azure only has debugging support for 2013 (as far as the options are shown).

Is 2015 not backwards compatible?

• Edited by logicalleo Monday, December 14, 2015 6:06 PM
    Sunday, December 13, 2015 10:41 AM
  • Hi,

I upgraded from Azure tools 2.3 to 2.8.2.1 (latest) on VS 2013 Update 5 and have lost the ability to see deployment slots for my web app (I guess called app service now) . I get the same error as @logicalleo.

Cannot perform requested operation on nested resource. Parent resource 'xxxxxx' not found.

This is on a production website, its really frustrating!!

Any help or update on this?

Thursday, March 24, 2016 5:49 AM