management studio does not work RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,  I get

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
    ------------------------------

Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. (SQLEditors)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An error occurred creating the configuration section handler for system.data: Column 'InvariantName' is constrained to be unique.  Value 'Microsoft.SqlServerCe.Client' is already present. (C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Config\machine.config line 128) (System.Configuration)

Column 'InvariantName' is constrained to be unique.  Value 'Microsoft.SqlServerCe.Client' is already present. (System.Data)

BUTTONS:

OK

when I try to Open Table and

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. (SQLEditors)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Unable to find the requested .Net Framework Data Provider.  It may not be installed. (System.Data)

BUTTONS:

OK

when I try to Design table. What should I do? Running Vista, SQL Management Studio version 9.00.3033.00

Thanks,   Jan

Saturday, March 3, 2007 12:32 PM

Answers

• Jan, Does this help? http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1140585&SiteID=1 -- Steve Kass -- Drew University -- http://www.stevekass.com Jan Kučera@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > Hi, I get > > TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio > ------------------------------ > > Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. (SQLEditors) > > ------------------------------ > ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: > > An error occurred creating the configuration section handler for > system.data: Column 'InvariantName' is constrained to be unique. Value > 'Microsoft.SqlServerCe.Client' is already present. > (C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Config\machine.config > line 128) (System.Configuration) > > ------------------------------ > > Column 'InvariantName' is constrained to be unique. Value > 'Microsoft.SqlServerCe.Client' is already present. (System.Data) > > ------------------------------ > BUTTONS: > > OK > ------------------------------ > > > when I try to Open Table and > > > > TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio > ------------------------------ > > Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. (SQLEditors) > > ------------------------------ > ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: > > Unable to find the requested .Net Framework Data Provider. It may not > be installed. (System.Data) > > ------------------------------ > BUTTONS: > > OK > ------------------------------ > > > when I try to Design table. What should I do? Running Vista, SQL > Management Studio version 9.00.3033.00 > > > > Thanks, Jan > >
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 4:40 AM
  • I digged a little deeper and figured out it was a missing directory/file in %TEMP%. Seems some CleaningTool removes all files/directories in %Temp% and after that SSMS was not working any longer. The missing file is actually not needed, but the missing directory causes the "Value cannot be null" error.

My missing file name was:
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\2\6vvdaozf.tmp
    But the file name changes on every startup.
    So my missing directory name was:
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\2
    After creating a empty directory with the name "2" in %TEMP% all went back to work fine for me.

I'm not sure the directory name is every time the same, but you can discover your missing file with the process monitor from Sysinternal Tools and filters to "Process Name is ssms.exe" and "Path contains AppData\Local\Temp"

Hope this helps other people to solve their issues too.
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 10:49 AM

All replies

• Your sql server is seems to be SP2 CTP installed(9.00.3033.00)... download the SP2 (9.00.3042.00) full version and try... there are some issues SQL Server on Vista platform... 

refer this link also : http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/sysreqs/default.mspx

Madhu

Saturday, March 3, 2007 12:41 PM
  • Running 3042 now and having the same issue... what next should I try?
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 2:03 PM
  • Hi!

Thank you! I forgot to mention the Orcas installation. ;-)

Jan

Sunday, March 4, 2007 8:58 AM
  • I had this issue initially upon trying to open a database diagram in Sql Server 2005 Management Studio after installing Orcas. I found this post and tried the service pack. Didn't work, uninstalled orcas. Still does not work, but error changes to "Invalid class String  (MS Visual Database Tools)". After much trial and error I found that on the last screen of the service pack there is a checkbox for running some vista user migration tool after the service pack. I had unchecked it the first time b/c I am running xp pro, but on a re-install I left it checked and used the wizard to migrate my users permission. Everything worked at this point.

=== Edited by m_ackerman @ 07 Mar 2007 2:59 AM UTC===

All but one thing: I had deleted a diagram at one point and was now getting this error:

Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'diagram_id', table 'adt_db.dbo.sysdiagrams'; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails.
    The statement has been terminated.
    The 'sp_creatediagram' procedure attempted to return a status of NULL, which is not allowed. A status of 0 will be returned instead. (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)

The following forum:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=523023&SiteID=1

shows how to resolve this.

=== Edited by m_ackerman @ 07 Mar 2007 2:04 AM UTC===

One other thing: after re-installoing Orcas I received the following error when I tried to re-open a database diagram in SSMS:

Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. (SQL Editors)

Additional information:

An error occurred creating the configuration handler for system.data: Column 'InvariantName' is constrained to be unique.  Value 'Microsoft.SqlServerCe.Client' is already present (C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Config\machine.config line 127) ...

which I was able to resolve based on the following forum posting:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1140585&SiteID=1

Wednesday, March 7, 2007 1:41 AM
  • I digged a little deeper and figured out it was a missing directory/file in %TEMP%. Seems some CleaningTool removes all files/directories in %Temp% and after that SSMS was not working any longer. The missing file is actually not needed, but the missing directory causes the "Value cannot be null" error.

My missing file name was:
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\2\6vvdaozf.tmp
    But the file name changes on every startup.
    So my missing directory name was:
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\2
    After creating a empty directory with the name "2" in %TEMP% all went back to work fine for me.

I'm not sure the directory name is every time the same, but you can discover your missing file with the process monitor from Sysinternal Tools and filters to "Process Name is ssms.exe" and "Path contains AppData\Local\Temp"

Hope this helps other people to solve their issues too.
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 10:49 AM