none
Sharepoint 2013 BCS | Association between SharePoint List and external content type RRS feed

• Question

• I have a requirement to build a relation between list and external content type

E.g.

List Name = Person and have following columns

Person ID

Name

External content type:

1) Create external content type from WCF service with following fields

Person ID

Salary

Now I want to create association between list and external content type on basis of person ID and salary would be auto populated in the list

List items are

1 VD

2 BC

3 GH

External content type is returning following

1 500

2 599

3 548

In the list salary would be auto populate like this.

1 VD 500

2 BC 599

3 GH 548

Please advise if it is feasible.

Friday, December 30, 2016 12:07 PM

All replies

• Your description sounds like a Custom List that has a lookup column(s) from an External list based on PersonID.  Or just an external column in the Custom list.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Create-and-update-an-external-data-column-in-a-list-or-library-44EFF2C5-8051-489D-989C-F5D09F527AEE

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Friday, December 30, 2016 1:56 PM
  • Hi vikas,

Any update?

If Paul's reply helps you, please mark the reply as answer, it will make others who stuck with the similar issue easier to search for valid solutions in this forum.

Best regards,

Patrick

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 8:24 AM
  • Hi Paul,

Thank you for reply, the question I have is how to create an association between custom list and external data columns.

in my case, it could be 90% chance data is not be available in external list for inserted ID. External list data will be populated later. As soon as it is updated in external list. it would get updated in custom list.

e.g.

custom list

ID, Name, Salary

1, VD, blank (external list don't have any data from id 1)

but after few hours data is populated in external list for ID 1. Then Custom list data would be updated automatically (is it possible to do so by BCS?)

1 VD 500

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 9:56 AM
  • I don't know of any way to get a change in an external list to apply a relaitionship change to a record in an internal list.  As I said you can use a lookup column to select and link to an existing valuein an external list, but the value has to exist.  What you are suggesting would need to be done using some form of programming, if I'm understanding what you want correctly.  YOu can't create a relationship with a value that doesn't exist.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 1:13 PM