none
Working with protected Powerpoint presentations RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

In one of my Projects, we are trying to work with protected presentation templates.
    With that I mean a presentation template (.potx) which have been encrypted with a password.

Both Word and Excel have support for opening this kind of protected files, but for some reason Powerpoint have not.

We have big problems making this a smooth, nice looking application because of the changes in window view during the open process, which we have not been able to surpress.

This is the core code for opening the presentation.

Dim pvPpt As PowerPoint.ProtectedViewWindow = pwtApp.ProtectedViewWindows.Open("path to protected file", "the secret password")
    Dim newPpt As PowerPoint.Presentation = pvPpt.Edit("the secret password")
    newPpt.DisplayComments = Microsoft.Office.Core.MsoTriState.msoFalse
    pwtApp.ActiveWindow.SplitVertical = 90
    pwtApp.ActiveWindow.SplitHorizontal = 18

The last 3 lines of code was needed in order to reset the view of the presentation window, which was messed up when opened in ProtectedViewWindow.

The result of this is a window with 3 different looks during the open process.
    This does not look good, and now we are seeking a better solution.

We have tried using various APIs (LokWindowUpdate and Sendmessage with WM_SETREDRAW = False) but these methods don't work in this scenario.

Any better ideas anyone?

Best Regards Peter Karlström Midrange AB, Sweden

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 8:05 PM

Answers

• HI

OK.

Not the best of answers since this functionality is not likely to be added for the next 5-10 years, if ever.

• Marked as answer by David_JunFeng Monday, June 20, 2016 2:38 PM
    Friday, June 10, 2016 7:43 AM
  • Hi Peter,

If this issue is urgent, you could contact Microsoft support to raise an incident so that our engineer could work closely with him to identify the root cause and resolve this issue as soon as possible. If the support engineer determines that the issue is the result of a bug the service request will be a no-charge case and you won't be charged. 

Please visit the below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs. 

https://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/bb266240.aspx

Thanks for your understanding.
    • Proposed as answer by David_JunFeng Sunday, June 19, 2016 2:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by David_JunFeng Monday, June 20, 2016 2:39 PM
    Monday, June 13, 2016 9:34 AM

All replies

• >>>The result of this is a window with 3 different looks during the open process.
    This does not look good, and now we are seeking a better solution.<<<

According to your description, I have made a sample with your sample codes to try to reproduce this issue, unfortunately, I can not.

Powerpoint Version:

The result:

So I suggest that you could provide more information about this issue, screenshot is best, that will help us reproduce and resolve it.

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 6:29 AM
  • Hi David

OK. Here is some screenshots.

The issue is not possible to describe with one screenshot, because it is the change in display that is the problem.
    When running the code above the final display is like your screenshot, but the way there lokks like these screenshots:

Step 1
    Step 1

Step 2
    Step 2

Step 3:
    Step 3

It is the switching between these 3 steps that we want to hide from the user.

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 1:16 PM
  • >>>The issue is not possible to describe with one screenshot, because it is the change in display that is the problem.

According to your description and screenshot, I have reproduced this issue, but I am not able to find any solution to overcome this issue. 
    So I suggest that you could submit any feedback to Powerpoint UserVoice:

https://powerpoint.uservoice.com/

Friday, June 10, 2016 7:33 AM
  • HI

OK.

Not the best of answers since this functionality is not likely to be added for the next 5-10 years, if ever.

• Marked as answer by David_JunFeng Monday, June 20, 2016 2:38 PM
    Friday, June 10, 2016 7:43 AM
  • Hi Peter,

If this issue is urgent, you could contact Microsoft support to raise an incident so that our engineer could work closely with him to identify the root cause and resolve this issue as soon as possible. If the support engineer determines that the issue is the result of a bug the service request will be a no-charge case and you won't be charged. 

Please visit the below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs. 

https://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/bb266240.aspx

• Proposed as answer by David_JunFeng Sunday, June 19, 2016 2:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by David_JunFeng Monday, June 20, 2016 2:39 PM
    Monday, June 13, 2016 9:34 AM