Help Needed with Installation 2008R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Community,

I have a network running Windows SBS 2008 and purchased a new HP Laptop last week. I have joined the Laptop to the Domain and am currently logged in as the Network Administrator. I installed SQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU (file version 10.50.1600.1) over the weekend (while not joined to the Network) and I am currently experiencing problems when I try to connect to the server.

If I run the SQL Server Management Studio, Under Server Type, I see Database Engine or SQL Server Compact. If I choose Database Engine, I see <Browse for more...>, (local) and my Laptop's Name LAPTOP01. When performing the install, I chose the mixed authentication type and crearted a password for the "sa" account. When I try to Connect using sa or the NetworkAdmin, I am unsuccessful and I have a Connect to Server notification box that appears telling me... (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error:40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error : 2)

I would appreciate some help as I am only trying to set up express so that I can work from home (I dont use VPN from home and simply work offline) as I would like to do some DBA development from home and roll out the tables/stored procedures at work. p.s. If you need any further information (about the laptop, network, etc), please let me know the instructions you need me to follow?

Many thanks and kind regards,
    Bertie.

Monday, September 12, 2011 2:17 PM

Answers

• OK, I have just realised what the problem was... when you connect to a local instance, not only do you need the name of the machine, but when performing the installation, the instance of the database would have been given a name, probably SQLExpress. When joined onto a Domain, you need to specify LocalMachineName/SQLInstance to connect to the local so in my case, the Server Name works if I enter LAPTOP01\SQLExpress.

I am able to create offline tables now (under the Domain Admin Account). Any idea what I need to do to so that all Domain Authenticated Users (i.e. all users that aren't Admin's) are allowed to create Databases in the local instance?

Bertie

• Proposed as answer by Alberto MorilloMVP Monday, September 12, 2011 6:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:14 AM
    Monday, September 12, 2011 4:02 PM
  • Hello,

Add the logins to SQL Server.

CREATE LOGIN [DomainName\User] FROM WINDOWS

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa337562.aspx

You may have to change the service account to have access to the domain.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Monday, September 12, 2011 6:24 PM

All replies

• I have just realised that when I Click on <Browse for More...> and select the SBS Database under Network Servers tab, then SQL Server establishes a connection to the Network Database. The problem I have is that I would like to use this laptop to work offline and from home and so I would prefer to have a Local Server (presumably called the laptop name LAPTOP01), but none are available? Do you know how I can set this up so that while I am away from the office, I choose the laptop itself (LAPTOP01) as the Server Name?

Bertie

Monday, September 12, 2011 2:35 PM
  • Hello,

What about installing a SQL Server 2008 Express Edition instance in your laptop? It is free and you can backup/restore databases from the domain in your office.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=1695

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=7593 (Tool to manage SQL Server databases)

Use SQL Server scripts to add your store procedures to production environment.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms186996.aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Monday, September 12, 2011 2:43 PM
  • Dear Alberto,

Thank you ever so much for the reply, I appreciate the help. Your outline is precisley how I intend to work. I have however done the installation and the file I mention above I believe is exactly the same as your first link combined with the second link SQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU.

Where I am currently having difficulty is in being offline (no network cable attached to my network, and being at home with a simple home internet connection). As my laptop was joined to the network, when I login, I still have to login under MyDomain\MyUserName. I believe this is creating the problem as I do not know what I need to do so that SQL Server can see itself as I think the laptop always is looking for the Server?

This is how I try to connect to the local laptop:

This is the error I get when I try to connect to (local) or "LAPTOP01" which is the name of the laptop:

I am able to get SQL Server Management Studio to connect to my network database (but I can't show the image as only 2 allowed per post!).

I would really appreciate the help.

Many thanks and kind regartds,
    Bertie.

Monday, September 12, 2011 3:12 PM
  • Here is all the steps you needed to install SQL Server in Windows 7. Why don't you install in Mixed Mode?
    http://virtualizesharepoint.com/2011/05/01/how-to-install-sql-2008-server-in-windows-7/

Aryan Nava | Twitter: @cloudtxt | Blog: http://virtualizesharepoint.com
    Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

Monday, September 12, 2011 4:00 PM
  • OK, I have just realised what the problem was... when you connect to a local instance, not only do you need the name of the machine, but when performing the installation, the instance of the database would have been given a name, probably SQLExpress. When joined onto a Domain, you need to specify LocalMachineName/SQLInstance to connect to the local so in my case, the Server Name works if I enter LAPTOP01\SQLExpress.

I am able to create offline tables now (under the Domain Admin Account). Any idea what I need to do to so that all Domain Authenticated Users (i.e. all users that aren't Admin's) are allowed to create Databases in the local instance?

Bertie

• Proposed as answer by Alberto MorilloMVP Monday, September 12, 2011 6:08 PM
    Monday, September 12, 2011 4:02 PM
  • Hello,

Add the logins to SQL Server.

CREATE LOGIN [DomainName\User] FROM WINDOWS

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa337562.aspx

You may have to change the service account to have access to the domain.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Monday, September 12, 2011 6:24 PM