Status Report Templates RRS feed

• Question

• Several Questions:

1) Is there a way to create a status report template?

2) Rather than have to send out a request for status reports, can individuals just submit a status report each week using the template?

3) Is there a way to link status report data to a particular project field?  Since status reports are by person not by project.

4) Does anyone know of a good book on project server 2010?

• Changed type Alexander.Burton Thursday, August 9, 2012 9:26 PM It's a question
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 2:59 PM

All replies

• Without some customization, I do no think there is anyway to create a status report template. However, have you considered the option of using an Infopath form and using that to collect the status reports, and saving those reports into another document library?

As far as a good book on Project Server 2010, I would say the one written by Project Server Experts. Check this link out:http://blogs.msdn.com/b/chrisfie/archive/2010/07/12/new-book-implementing-and-administering-microsoft-project-server-2010-must-buy.aspx

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 8:35 PM
  • I would add to cseaman1210's request:

1. Status Reports fields should not be limited to Text.  They should include Date/Time, Flag, % Complete, Lookups, PSI Fields (Resources, Tasks, Projects)
    2. What would be really cool is a Spreadsheet field where Requester could define columns and the Resource fills those out.
    3. Should be able to tie-in Status Report data with active data in Projects as read-only.  Or at least have a "Populate" feature which grabs columns.

We could create a Web Part with the exact input format we want, but then it wouldn't have the automatic scheduling and archiving features that Status Reports provide.  Aha!  Maybe the Status Report could be a like a "Project Detail Page" with the Status Report wrapper around it.

Jonathan M Beck

• Edited by Beta Star Monday, August 6, 2012 7:36 PM
    Monday, August 6, 2012 7:33 PM
  • We often use SQL Reporting Services to create project status reports. We then expose this report in a project Project Detail Page (PDP) and use a sharepoint filter web part to automatically filter the report by the project being viewed. This approach allows you to display project specific information in a standardised template. The report file is stored in a central location in the BI Centre which makes future modifications easy to maintain. For textual type information to describe project status you can use project custom fields, combined with other project related information and display these fields via a Project Detail Page (PDP). Once the report is generated, the PM would need to save the final version to the project site. You can take this to the next level with custom code and automate the report publish directly to the project site. Other variations I've seen include a tailored sharepoint solution which stores status information from project server in a series of sharepoint lists once the report is published. Another variation leveraged of an external SQL database to store published data.

As for good books, anything from Dale Howard, Gary Chevetz (Project Server Experts) or MS Press is my recommendation.

Regards,

Piet Remen
    http://pietremen.blogspot.com.au

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 3:58 PM