none
I CAN'T SEEM TO FIX THIS: Could not find any resources appropriate for the specified culture or the neutral culture. RRS feed

• Question

• WHAT I HAVE:

Visual Basic 2010, .NET Framework 4.0, Entity Framework 4.0, SQL Express

A Windows Forms app that won't run on account of resource-file problems.

MY PROBLEM:

I used the Solution Explorer to delete a few images from my resource list since I'm not using them, only to an error or warning about not being able to find the deleted resources.

I tried removing the references to the "missing" resources from the resource XML file, only to have the MDI (which uses the global resource file for its images) not wanting to display when I clicked on it in SE.

When I chose the option to "ignore" and display the form anyway, it deleted most of the images from my MDI form. I was able to reload them manually using the Properties window. For a while, the program would run but with warnings (no errors) about a "custom tool" being associated with the resource file. I tried "Run Custom Tool" as directed, and got nothing. I edited some of my other forms (no big story there), and tried re-including some files that had recently been "excluded" from the project.

I tried a few other things I can't fully remember, and now there are no compiler errors or warnings. However, when I try to run the program ("Start Debugging"), I get the following every time:

An error occurred creating the form. See Exception.InnerException for details.  The error is: Could not find any resources appropriate for the specified culture or the neutral culture.  Make sure "WindowsApplication1.mpfSocialContactsTracker.resources" was correctly embedded or linked into assembly "SocialContactsTracker" at compile time, or that all the satellite assemblies required are loadable and fully signed.

It also says, "No Source Available: No symbols are loaded for any call stack frame. The source code cannot be displayed." Also, if I click on "Show disassembly", I get an empty window sayin't there isn't any. When I click for help on the Inner Exception, it tells me something about a "missing resource manifest errror".

How do I get the resource file or satellite assemblies (I didn't know anything about sat. assemb. before) properly linked/embedded into the assembly so that the program runs (otherwise I've wasted all my time)?

(NOTE: The problem seems confined to this particular app. All my forms have the Localize property set to True and I have no problems editing or displaying my forms, just running the project. Also, I saved and reloaded the project several times [and sometimes reloaded VB itself] during this misadventure.  Finally, the file referenced in the error, "WindowsApplication1.mpfSocialContactsTracker.resources" does exist in the project directory. However, the only reference to it I could find in the project was in the "FileListAbsoluteText.vb" file.)

Robert Gustafson

This is my very first major VB 2010 project, and I need to get it working again ASAP, since I was on a roll before I started having resource problems. (And I hope I don't have to delete and re-create any forms in my project--especially the MDI one. Menus and toolbars are tedious to re-create when you're a lone-wolfer.)

UPDATE: My compiler now gives me an error telling me it can't find the resource file at all, and I can't seem to display the MDI form when I double-click on its name.

HELP!

Here's the full error message:

System.InvalidOperationException was unhandled
      HResult=-2146233079
      Message=An error occurred creating the form. See Exception.InnerException for details.  The error is: Could not find any resources appropriate for the specified culture or the neutral culture.  Make sure "WindowsApplication1.mpfSocialContactsTracker.resources" was correctly embedded or linked into assembly "SocialContactsTracker" at compile time, or that all the satellite assemblies required are loadable and fully signed.
      Source=SocialContactsTracker
      StackTrace:
           at WindowsApplication1.My.MyProject.MyForms.Create__Instance__[T](T Instance) in 17d14f5c-a337-4978-8281-53493378c1071.vb:line 190
           at WindowsApplication1.My.MyProject.MyForms.get_mpfSocialContactsTracker()
           at WindowsApplication1.My.MyApplication.OnCreateMainForm() in C:\Users\Robert G\Visual Studio 2010 Projects\SocialContactsTracker\My Project\Application.Designer.vb:line 35
           at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.OnRun()
           at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.DoApplicationModel()
           at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.Run(String[] commandLine)
           at WindowsApplication1.My.MyApplication.Main(String[] Args) in 17d14f5c-a337-4978-8281-53493378c1071.vb:line 81
           at System.AppDomain._nExecuteAssembly(RuntimeAssembly assembly, String[] args)
           at System.AppDomain.ExecuteAssembly(String assemblyFile, Evidence assemblySecurity, String[] args)
           at Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.HostProc.RunUsersAssembly()
           at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
           at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
           at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
           at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
           at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
      InnerException: System.Resources.MissingManifestResourceException
           HResult=-2146233038
           Message=Could not find any resources appropriate for the specified culture or the neutral culture.  Make sure "WindowsApplication1.mpfSocialContactsTracker.resources" was correctly embedded or linked into assembly "SocialContactsTracker" at compile time, or that all the satellite assemblies required are loadable and fully signed.
           Source=mscorlib
           StackTrace:
                at System.Resources.ManifestBasedResourceGroveler.HandleResourceStreamMissing(String fileName)
                at System.Resources.ManifestBasedResourceGroveler.GrovelForResourceSet(CultureInfo culture, Dictionary`2 localResourceSets, Boolean tryParents, Boolean createIfNotExists, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
                at System.Resources.ResourceManager.InternalGetResourceSet(CultureInfo requestedCulture, Boolean createIfNotExists, Boolean tryParents, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
                at System.Resources.ResourceManager.InternalGetResourceSet(CultureInfo culture, Boolean createIfNotExists, Boolean tryParents)
                at System.Resources.ResourceManager.GetResourceSet(CultureInfo culture, Boolean createIfNotExists, Boolean tryParents)
                at System.ComponentModel.ComponentResourceManager.FillResources(CultureInfo culture, ResourceSet& resourceSet)
                at System.ComponentModel.ComponentResourceManager.FillResources(CultureInfo culture, ResourceSet& resourceSet)
                at System.ComponentModel.ComponentResourceManager.ApplyResources(Object value, String objectName, CultureInfo culture)
                at System.ComponentModel.ComponentResourceManager.ApplyResources(Object value, String objectName)
                at WindowsApplication1.mpfSocialContactsTracker.InitializeComponent() in C:\Users\Robert G\Visual Studio 2010 Projects\SocialContactsTracker\My Project\SocialContactsTrackerMain.Designer.vb:line 104
                at WindowsApplication1.mpfSocialContactsTracker..ctor()
           InnerException: 

Thursday, March 13, 2014 7:01 AM

Answers

• Never mind. I revented my machine to a previously-backed-up state and reconstructed the changes I made since the backup. It was tedious but I did it surprisingly quickly. It works now.

Robert Gustafson

Thursday, March 13, 2014 12:48 PM