PowerPivot Management Dashboard Processing Timer Job fails RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working on getting PowerPivot working on a 2013 SP1 test farm. Everything appears to work. PowerPivot excel documents are displaying correctly and I can setup data refresh for the document. The only issue is the PowerPivot Management Dashboard Processing Timer Job fails. I'm at my wits end with it.

What I've Done: I followed this document almost to a tee, https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn456880.aspx. I did not install the spPowerPivot.msi file. Instead I installed PowerPivot using the SQL 2014 SP1 install.

Error:The PowerPivot Management Dashboard Processing Timer Job keeps failing with this error, Credentials were not found for the current user within the target application 'PowerPivotUnattendedAccount'. Please set the credentials for the current user."

ULS Logs in verboseex mode Show:

• Current user after SqlConnection.Open: Name: Domain\SPTest_Farm SID: S-1-5-21-1343024091-606747145-1417001333-78225 ImpersonationLevel: None
    • The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.AnalysisServices.SPAddin.UsageProcessingTimerJob (ID 6b80dca7-a8a4-4bce-a7c8-3ee0fdb42ec7) threw an exception. More information is included below.  Credentials were not found for the current user within the target application 'PowerPivotUnattendedAccount'. Please set the credentials for the current user.

What I've tried to fix

• Giving the data refresh account read access to the PowerPivot database.
    • Giving the PowerPivot service account permissions inside the secure store.
    • Adding the PowerPivot service account to the local admin group.
    • Installed the SPPowerPivot.msi
    • Creating a new Secure Store Entry.

Everything seems to work except this timer job. I have spent hours on this. Any suggestions provided will be appreciated.

• Edited by PawnofGod Thursday, September 29, 2016 2:15 PM
    Thursday, September 29, 2016 2:12 PM

Answers

• I got this fixed by using a group secure store entry instead of individual. I set it up where all domain users can use it. I also had to get the PowerPivot data refresh account db_reader to the PowerPivot database.
    Thursday, October 6, 2016 6:02 PM

All replies

• Hi PawnofGod,

Make sure the unattended account either is properly set or has the correct permissions on the PowerPivot Service Application.

Refer to the following article about configuring the PowerPivot Unattended Data Refresh Account (PowerPivot for SharePoint):

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff773327(v=sql.110).aspx

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, September 30, 2016 9:57 AM
  • Hi Lisa,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I have been all through that msdn article too, and it's a no go. I have been at this for many hours. This is what I'm thinking. The PowerPivot Management Dashboard Processing Timer job is run by timer service, which uses the farm account. The farm account cannot use Secure Store entry because it does not have permissions to it, and throws the error. To fix this I created a public Secure store entry and gave the farm account and the Service account permissions to use it. It now throws this error, "Call to Excel Services returned an error."

I have a snapshot setup and I'm going to role it back one more time. I'm going to inspect excel services and make sure that is correct, and try a public secure Store entry from the beginning and see what happens. The public Secure Store idea came from this article, https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee210671%28v=sql.120%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396.

Again thanks for taking the time and let me know if you have any more thoughts on it.

Friday, September 30, 2016 11:46 AM
  • I got this fixed by using a group secure store entry instead of individual. I set it up where all domain users can use it. I also had to get the PowerPivot data refresh account db_reader to the PowerPivot database.
    Thursday, October 6, 2016 6:02 PM
  • PawnofGod,

I know this is an old thread, but when you added the group secure store object, did you add 'Domain\Authenticated Users' as the actual Refresh Account, or as the Owner of an Individual Refresh Account?

Wednesday, July 26, 2017 2:44 AM
  • I created as separate service account and used that.
    Monday, July 31, 2017 11:13 AM