ASP.NET Sites/Pages Getting "Crossed" (Displaying Incorrect Data" RRS feed

• Question

• User-882255348 posted

UPDATE: This has been solved. Turns out I was using the same session variable name to store some data and then moving it back to a dataset rather than making a round trip for each request. Then, the dataset was used to generate some tables and one of those was the datasource for the gridview. Since I used duplicate table names and dataset names and then compounded it with using duplicate session variable names, the session variable was used to populate the dataset in BOTH pages instead of only one.

Sorry for the short-term question.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, everyone:

I'm working on supporting an ASP classic intranet site. I'm also trying to implement new solutions on that site with ASP.NET. I have Framework 4.0 installed on IIS 6.0 running on Win2K3 server SP3.

I developed the sites in Visual Studio 2010, but I'm not a professional developer and these are my first tries at this. When finally I got the sites doing what I wanted them to do the correct way, I deployed them using the Copy Web Site option in Visual Studio. The folders containing all of my files were put into a subfolder on the server.

When the pages load, they seem to act like ONE site, even though they're in separate folders in the directory. For clarity, the structure on the network looks like this:

\\servername\web_directory\customer service\OpenOrders

So, when I navigate to the URL of the page, I get the page and it loads fine. As I stated, there are TWO I've deployed, both are in the Customer Service folder. The first folder I copied was called ShipInfo. The second came about a week later. It uses the same general principles, but gets its data from another source elsewhere on the network. It lives in a folder called OpenOrders. So, one of them lives in

\\servername\web_directory\customer service\ShipInfo

and the other lives in

\\servername\web_directory\customer service\OpenOrders.

Inside those folders are the files and pages which run what Visual Studio called a web site. When I copied the files up using Visual Studio, they went fine and everything seemed to be running well.

But today, I noticed that both sites display the same data, even though nothing has changed about the files. So now, the shipment information page shows the open order page's gridview, even though they're in separate folders. When I open the shipment info page, I see the open order gridview. When I open the open order page, I see the open order gridview.

It's like they share a single data source, but they don't. They each have their own data access routines and access separate data sources (one comes from an Excel spreadsheet in one network share, the other gets its data from an Access database on a different network share).

There hasn't been any change to the files except to refine one of the dropdown boxes. I don't recall this problem when I built them, and I certainly don't see this issue when I run them in the development server. But now I don't know whether they ever worked (I deployed them originally in November 2012).

Please, anyone, help a confused and frustrated newbie figure out what went wrong! I know almost nothing about IIS, so I haven't done much, but I was able to learn enough to get the server to serve ASP.NET and ASP pages both. Like I said before, they run fine, no errors, but when they display their data, it's like they're sharing it between them somehow.

Have I done something wrong in the way they were deployed? did I miss a configuration somewhere? did I miss doing something on the IIS server I should have done?

HALP!

...and, as always, thank you. :)

-JH

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 5:39 PM

All replies

• User-166373564 posted

Hi Josh

Josh Hill

UPDATE: This has been solved. Turns out I was using the same session variable name to store some data and then moving it back to a dataset rather than making a round trip for each request. Then, the dataset was used to generate some tables and one of those was the datasource for the gridview. Since I used duplicate table names and dataset names and then compounded it with using duplicate session variable names, the session variable was used to populate the dataset in BOTH pages instead of only one.

Thanks for sharing your solution with us. very appreciated. If you have anything urgent in your programming, please feedback by creating another thread.

With regards

Thursday, March 21, 2013 6:25 AM