Cross Platform development suggestion RRS feed

• Question

• I want to create an application which will be cross platform.

I know C#, WPF and native Android development, but I don't want to create an application all over again for each platform.
    I wanted to ask for your recommendations for a cross platform framework for the client side.

I was suggested to use Ionic, and was told that I should also learn AngularJS as a prerequisite for Ionic. However, I don't know Javascript and I'm not a big fan of dynamic languages in general.

Do you might have a recommendation for a cross platform framework for mobile development which uses a static language? I heard of Xamarian in which you can use C# for the development? What do you think about it? Any other suggestions?

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 9:18 PM

Answers

• Hi Yonir2,

Also you would like to use Cordova to develop cross platform apps, which is free as I know, but the difference is cordova use HTML/JavaScript instead of C#.

Currently I think only Xamarin support to use C# as the development language for multi-platform.

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by Jamles Hez Tuesday, September 29, 2015 3:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jamles Hez Friday, October 9, 2015 1:57 AM
    Wednesday, September 23, 2015 5:34 AM
  • Hi Yonir,

There are already quite a few answers to this question on the forums so I would suggest you look at those but also check out what is available to you for Cross Plat directly from VS.

I also highly recommend looking on the Channel 9 site for videos on X-plat but starting with something general like Strategies for Developing Cross-Platform Applications.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 9:52 PM
  • Hi Yonir,

It looks like C++ might be an option, if not now then in the future. See http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2014/11/12/cross-platform-mobile-development-with-visual-c.aspx

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 5:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Yonir,

There are already quite a few answers to this question on the forums so I would suggest you look at those but also check out what is available to you for Cross Plat directly from VS.

I also highly recommend looking on the Channel 9 site for videos on X-plat but starting with something general like Strategies for Developing Cross-Platform Applications.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 9:52 PM
  • Hi Yonir,

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

I did search for posts on that matter but couldn't find a thread with suggestions like I started here.
    I really wanted to use Visual Studio for the development but I was hoping Xamarin is free and it's not. Unless it somehow supports creating a web site as well, I won't be using it.
    Does someone have any suggestions?
    Wednesday, September 23, 2015 12:09 AM
  • Hi Yonir2,

Also you would like to use Cordova to develop cross platform apps, which is free as I know, but the difference is cordova use HTML/JavaScript instead of C#.

Currently I think only Xamarin support to use C# as the development language for multi-platform.

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 5:34 AM
  • Hi Yonir2,

--James

Thank you for the info James!

Do you might know of a cross platform framework that supports any static language? even if it's not C#. Java could also work as well. But anything with a compiler is much better than HTML/JavaScript

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 9:14 AM
  • Hi Yonir,

It looks like C++ might be an option, if not now then in the future. See http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2014/11/12/cross-platform-mobile-development-with-visual-c.aspx

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 5:20 PM