none
Mapping a blob storage account domain to a custom domain name

Question

• Basically, i am trying to host a website in Azure blob storage (it's not recommended i know, but i am just experimenting) and i had this questions regarding custom domain names for Azure storage. 

i have a blob storage account <name>.blob.core.windows.net and i assigned it a custom name xyz.com. Now suppose in the storage account, we have a file say webpage.html inside a public container website.

Now, to make the file webpage.html accessible - we need put xyz.com/website/webpage.html - The full URL, right? Is there any other way except URL forwarding.

How beneficial (considering it is) is the custom domain mapping from a SEO perspective?

Thank you in advance.

Paras Doshi ( Blog | Twitter

Thursday, June 30, 2011 10:43 AM

Answers

• Hi Paras,

> to make the file webpage.html accessible - we need put xyz.com/website/webpage.html - The full URL, right? Is there any other way except URL forwarding.

I do not quite understand your requestion. Do you want to set a default page for the domain or the container so that we can use such as xyz.com or xyz.com/website to access the default page?

If so, I can't think of a solution for this as we don't have the ability to change the behavior of Blob Storage.

The only workaround I can think is to serve all content from Blob Storage via a Azure service web role (acts as a proxy). You create a http handler in the web role to serve all content. As you have full control of the http handler, you can route the traffic from xyz.com to a specific file from Blob Storage. Please refer to Accessing blobs in private container without Shared Access Secret key for a code sample.

> How beneficial (considering it is) is the custom domain mapping from a SEO perspective?

From a SEO perspective, as Blob storage provides a unique domain [namespace].blob.core.windows.net for your storage account, it will have the same SEO benefit comparing to a custom domain.

Apart from SEO, we should use custom domain, as xyz.com is much shorter than the provided one, and one day if you don't want to use Blob Storage, you can map the same domain to a Azure service. After using custom domain, users never know the content is served by Blob Storage or somewhere.

Thanks.

Wengchao Zeng
    Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not.
    If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.
    Microsoft One Code Framework
    • Marked as answer by Paras Doshi Friday, July 01, 2011 8:25 AM
    Friday, July 01, 2011 7:44 AM
  • You don't need to use a custom domain for a storage account. However it can be convenient to put a website under www.customdomain.com and host static content as blobs under (for example) blobs.customdomain.com.
    • Marked as answer by Paras Doshi Thursday, August 11, 2011 11:18 AM
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 6:33 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Paras,

> to make the file webpage.html accessible - we need put xyz.com/website/webpage.html - The full URL, right? Is there any other way except URL forwarding.

I do not quite understand your requestion. Do you want to set a default page for the domain or the container so that we can use such as xyz.com or xyz.com/website to access the default page?

If so, I can't think of a solution for this as we don't have the ability to change the behavior of Blob Storage.

The only workaround I can think is to serve all content from Blob Storage via a Azure service web role (acts as a proxy). You create a http handler in the web role to serve all content. As you have full control of the http handler, you can route the traffic from xyz.com to a specific file from Blob Storage. Please refer to Accessing blobs in private container without Shared Access Secret key for a code sample.

> How beneficial (considering it is) is the custom domain mapping from a SEO perspective?

From a SEO perspective, as Blob storage provides a unique domain [namespace].blob.core.windows.net for your storage account, it will have the same SEO benefit comparing to a custom domain.

Apart from SEO, we should use custom domain, as xyz.com is much shorter than the provided one, and one day if you don't want to use Blob Storage, you can map the same domain to a Azure service. After using custom domain, users never know the content is served by Blob Storage or somewhere.

Thanks.

Wengchao Zeng
    • Marked as answer by Paras Doshi Friday, July 01, 2011 8:25 AM
    Friday, July 01, 2011 7:44 AM
  • Hi Paras,

Thanks.

Wengchao Zeng
    Thanks - it answers all my questions! 

Paras Doshi ( Blog | Twitter )
    Friday, July 01, 2011 8:25 AM
  • Hello,
    Nice post, but i have one question that i have storage account DNS Name which given  Windows Azure Storage URL. we can use it for using storage account Blob. Then why we need custom domain for storage account? please give me information for this iin detail.

Thanks in Advanse.

Thursday, August 11, 2011 6:02 AM
  • You don't need to use a custom domain for a storage account. However it can be convenient to put a website under www.customdomain.com and host static content as blobs under (for example) blobs.customdomain.com.
    • Marked as answer by Paras Doshi Thursday, August 11, 2011 11:18 AM
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 6:33 AM
    Answerer