none
Android C++ app VS 2017

Question

• So why is it if I do a new solution->Template->Visual C++->Cross Platform->Android->Basic Application Visual C++

I get a "Java" application?

This is very strange, C++ for every selection and I get a Java app?

Only the "Native-Activity Application" seems to be a real C++ project.

Am I correct in assuming the templates for everything but the "Native-Activity Application" are in the wrong tree branch!

Dave

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 7:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Dave,

Thank you for posting here.

Since your issue is related to VS general forum, I will move the case to there.

Best Regards,

Hart

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 6:44 AM
  • Hi DaveV,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

>>This is very strange, C++ for every selection and I get a Java app?

Refer to your description, it looks like your C++ templates are corrupted and please have a try with the following to troubleshot this issue:

1. Re-run the VS 2017 installer as administrator and click the icon beside 'Modify' and 'Launch', choose 'Repair' to repair VS 2017

2. Run the developer command prompt for VS 2017 as administrator, type the command: devenv /installvstemplates to re-install the VS templates.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 13, 2017 9:33 AM
  • tried reinstalling templates ..same results.

Its not that I can not do a C++ application, I can by selecting the "Native-Activity Application (Android)"

Its just that the other selections on this same page (Visual C++->Cross Platform Android) are not really C++ templates ...they are "Java" templates.

do you see the same on your set up? I have the following work flows selected:

Univ Wind Platform dev

.NET desktop

Desktop dev C++

Mobil dev with .NET

Mobile dev with C++

Dave

Thursday, April 13, 2017 10:21 AM
  • Hi Dave,

Thank you for your update.

I modified my VS community 2017 and checked the workloads as yours, then create a new project with type (Visual C++>Cross Platform>Android>Basic Application (Android, Ant)) and got the same result like the following screenshot:

It looks like this is be design, please have a look at this document: Visual C++ for Cross-Platform Mobile Development and we can find the following information:

>>Basic Application (Android, Ant) 

Creates an Android "Hello, World" app project that uses only Java source code and the Ant build system.

Meanwhile, please check this blog: Cross-Platform Mobile Development with Visual C++ for the detail information and description about the Cross platform mobile development with C++.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Friday, April 14, 2017 2:36 AM
  • I totally understand how to develop and create a C++ project and a java project using the templates.

My point is the templates are grouped BY LANGUAGE and the Java project template is grouped under the "C++" language. This is a VS bug that should be corrected.

Dave

Friday, April 14, 2017 10:20 AM
  • Hi Dave,

Thank you for your detail description and feedback, I already reported this to the VS Product Team, please check this: https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/44948/ccross-platformandroid-create-a-new-basic-applicat.html and you can vote it or add a comment, then we need to waiting for the response of the VS Product Team Engineers, thank you for your understanding.

Meanwhile, I will update the progress of this issue in here, if I get any feedback from the above link :)

Best regards,

Sara  

MSDN Community Support

Monday, April 17, 2017 1:48 AM