none
What does makecert.exe do? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm working on project for the real purpose not for test, And I implement a wcf service which authenticate with username+ssl

So as I read in some article I added a Certification by makecert.exe , After that I found the makecert is just for testing purpose,

So what should I do for real purpose, I'm not familiar with network security concept so please explain me what does makecert do for me? and What should i do to make an secure wcf service for real projects ?

thank you,

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 5:49 AM

Answers

• Hi,

For a client and server to talk securely with message level encryption, they both require certificates to encrypt and decrypt messages from the other. Those certificates need to be produced and installed on each machine.

For real purpose,  you need purchase a certificate from a certificate authority or Set up your own certificate service and have a certificate authority sign the certificates.

Thanks,

PHarlapur

• Marked as answer by Hamid Moghadam Tuesday, November 16, 2010 6:22 AM
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 6:11 AM

All replies

• Hi,

For a client and server to talk securely with message level encryption, they both require certificates to encrypt and decrypt messages from the other. Those certificates need to be produced and installed on each machine.

For real purpose,  you need purchase a certificate from a certificate authority or Set up your own certificate service and have a certificate authority sign the certificates.

Thanks,

PHarlapur

• Marked as answer by Hamid Moghadam Tuesday, November 16, 2010 6:22 AM
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 6:11 AM
  • Hi Hamid,

Makecert is used to create a certificate, where certificate is used for encryption purpose.

The generated certificate is stored in system certificate store (you can find it using certmgr.exe.)

You can get certificate security basics here.

http://www.entrust.net/security-certificate.htm

To know about security options in WCF you can go through this msdn article.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms731925.aspx

Hope it will be useful.

Regards, Nakul
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 6:14 AM