addine my website location to windows 7 pc RRS feed

• Question

• i have a new pc with windows 7 i have never used it before i have the old frontpage 2002 as well as web expression.

i need to know how to add my web site and where to add it to...i know on XP i added it in my network setting but i can not find it here or it keeps trying and it will not work.

please do not refer me to a web site please email me if you can help me and tell me how to add it.

Friday, April 27, 2012 3:38 AM

All replies

• You may have had FP2000 set up to use 'localhost'. EW doesn't work in the same way.

EW can work with sites anywhere on your PC. You might put them in 'My Documents/My Web Sites' or anywhere else that's convenient. I think this is the default location EW uses when first installed.

So open EW, use 'Site - New Site' to create a new site in either the default location EW shows or someone else you want to use. Then copy the files from the original site (which I assume you have on a backup of some sort) in to the location you've used.

Alternatively if the only copy you have of the site is the live one, use EW to connect to the site and publish it back to the new site you've created.

When you now want to preview the site from EW you'll need to select the 'Preview Settings'.

You should find the following link useful:

http://www.frontpage-to-expression.com/ which has a lot of applicable resources

HTH

Ian Haynes

EW - V4 Add-Ins
    EW - Resources, hints and tips
    EW - Design for the Mobile Web

Friday, April 27, 2012 7:41 AM
  • please do not refer me to a web site please email me if you can help me and tell me how to add it.

That is not the way that forums work. We do not provide private consultations by email. Answers are meant to be shared by everyone, including those who come later and search the forum.

Have you checked EW's "Help|Contents|Working With Sites?" And I hope that you don't really expect anyone to provide a written step-by-step description of a process in preference to referring you to a Web site that has the same procedure illustrated with screenshots. Be realistic.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, April 27, 2012 1:55 PM
  • You may have had FP2000 set up to use 'localhost'. EW doesn't work in the same way.

EW can work with sites anywhere on your PC. You might put them in 'My Documents/My Web Sites' or anywhere else that's convenient. I think this is the default location EW uses when first installed.

So open EW, use 'Site - New Site' to create a new site in either the default location EW shows or someone else you want to use. Then copy the files from the original site (which I assume you have on a backup of some sort) in to the location you've used.

Alternatively if the only copy you have of the site is the live one, use EW to connect to the site and publish it back to the new site you've created.

When you now want to preview the site from EW you'll need to select the 'Preview Settings'.

You should find the following link useful:

http://www.frontpage-to-expression.com/ which has a lot of applicable resources

HTH

Ian Haynes

EW - V4 Add-Ins
    EW - Resources, hints and tips
    EW - Design for the Mobile Web

thank you for your detailed help i belive i have it working now!
    Friday, April 27, 2012 2:34 PM
  • please do not refer me to a web site please email me if you can help me and tell me how to add it.

That is not the way that forums work. We do not provide private consultations by email. Answers are meant to be shared by everyone, including those who come later and search the forum.

Have you checked EW's "Help|Contents|Working With Sites?" And I hope that you don't really expect anyone to provide a written step-by-step description of a process in preference to referring you to a Web site that has the same procedure illustrated with screenshots. Be realistic.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

that is unfortunate the forum does not work that way but i think i got the help i needed. some people do not read well and to be directed to a web site and asked to "read" is not going to be useful that is why i asked for help, some people can read and understand right away others can not thats why it is great to be able to ask for help not hand holding, asking questions and getting advice weather it is step by step or being directed to a web site is all part of learning...thanks pink
    Friday, April 27, 2012 2:37 PM
  • I strongly suggest you edit your original post and remove your email address.  Posting your email address in forums is an invitation to spam harvesters.
    Friday, April 27, 2012 3:08 PM