Cannot write to DirectoryEntry property if property is null RRS feed

• Question

• User100615095 posted

Hi,

I am working with an intranet which links users to AD via the SAMAccountName attribute.

I am able to update properties which are already populated in AD. However, when I try to write to properties which are null, I get the following error:

"The attribute syntax specified to the directory service is invalid"

An example of one of the properties where I get this error is streetAddress. If I subsequently ask someone in the network admin team to put a value into the streetAddress field, then I can overwrite this without a problem.

The method I am calling is as follows:

private Boolean WriteToAD(DirectoryEntry record, String adPropertyName, String newValue)
            {
                if (String.IsNullOrEmpty(adPropertyName) || String .IsNullOrEmpty(newValue)) return false;

if (record.Properties.Contains(adPropertyName))
                {
                    record.Properties[adPropertyName][0] = newValue;
                }
                else
                {
                    record.Properties[adPropertyName].Add(newValue);
                }
                try
                {
                    record.CommitChanges();
                }
                catch (Exception ex)
                {

throw new Exception("Error writing to AD with: "+ newValue + " to " + propertyName + ex.Message);

}
                return record.Properties[adPropertyName].Value.ToString() == newValue;
            }

The DirectoryEntry record object has its AuthenticationType set to AuthenticationTypes.Secure and UserName and Password set to a user that has permission to write to AD.

Regards,

Pete

Monday, September 26, 2011 10:38 AM

Answers

• User1560780540 posted

This method looks fine to me. I tried it and it is working fine.

As per the error, the syntax of the value you are specifying for the adproperty is invalid. Did you try the code with some other properties? what is the value you are specifying for street address?

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 12:57 AM

All replies

• User1560780540 posted

This method looks fine to me. I tried it and it is working fine.

As per the error, the syntax of the value you are specifying for the adproperty is invalid. Did you try the code with some other properties? what is the value you are specifying for street address?

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 12:57 AM
  • User-625738215 posted

Dear All i am updating Department , Title , Mobile no , contry , all feilds are updating but when i send Manager feilds for updating but this feilds not update please help me how i update manager feilds of Active Diractory  through vb.net asp.net

Thursday, December 1, 2011 9:06 AM
  • User636753033 posted

You should just need to make sure the string is in the format of the user distinquishedname

Thursday, December 1, 2011 2:09 PM
  • User-625738215 posted

i am using this formate string

CN=Muhammad Javed/IT/Lahore,OU=Information Technology,DC=WTPK,DC=local

And

CN=Jamal.Yaqub/IT/Lahore,OU=Members,OU=Information Technology,OU=Central,OU=Wateen,DC=WTPK,DC=local

but still getting error

Friday, December 2, 2011 12:31 AM
  • User1560780540 posted

The distinuishedName contains special chars "/". you should escape this char.

Please review this article :

http://www.rlmueller.net/CharactersEscaped.htm

Change the distinguidhedName

with

CN=Muhammad Javed\/IT\/Lahore,OU=Information Technology,DC=WTPK,DC=local

Friday, December 2, 2011 1:24 AM
  • User-625738215 posted

Thaks kushal.dwivedi

kushal.dwivedi

Friday, December 2, 2011 4:22 AM
  • User-625738215 posted

Dear All can you tell me how i can find OU in active Diractory help me to find OU list from active Diractory property

Friday, December 2, 2011 4:27 AM
  • User636753033 posted

i am using this formate string

And

CN=Jamal.Yaqub/IT/Lahore,OU=Members,OU=Information Technology,OU=Central,OU=Wateen,DC=WTPK,DC=local

but still getting error

Best way to handle this is not to try and enter it manually since the distinguished name can contain many OUs to the location where the user object is. Create a function that will search the directory using the sameaccountname of the user and return his distinguishedname as a string. No need to worry about escape characters or formatting then.

Sunday, December 4, 2011 8:59 AM
  • User636753033 posted

Dear All can you tell me how i can find OU in active Diractory help me to find OU list from active Diractory property

See this post, http://forums.asp.net/t/945728.aspx/1

Sunday, December 4, 2011 9:01 AM