Error Sharepoint+workflow RRS feed

• Question

• Hi friends, i have a problem, i am modifying my shaerpoint web site using Sharepoint designer, but when i try to create a new workflow or modify one for default, i obtein the following error:

"The list of workflow actions on the server references an assembly that does not exist.  Some actions will not be available.  The assembly strong name is Microsoft.Sharepoint.WorkflowActions, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublickeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c. Contact your server administrator for more information"

The weird stuff is that i can create workflows inside my web site (insdide my library and execute it), but athrough the Sharepoint designer appears this error.

Please help me with this

Greetings

Monday, July 11, 2011 1:52 PM

Answers

• Yes, i revised the GACs in c:\windows\assembly and i compared with the referenced assemblies on the xml (WSS.ACTIONS, moss.actions and moderationworkflow.xml) so the public token in both it was matching.

Other point is : In the same  IIS where i have the sharepoint hosted,  i published an WCF service and it works with infopath forms. (i don't know if this affect something with the sharepoint designer workflows functionality).

I tried the IIS reset many times but it doesn't work.

Another test that i did, it was create another Sharepoint Site, but using the stand alone model, and the workflows with the Sharepoint Designer is working, so i revised the actions files and the moderationworkflow.xml and there were the same tags.

So i did a crazy thing:

1) I did a back up for three files from the server (Server 01) where the workflows don't work for don't affect something (2 actions and moderation.xml)

2) I took the same three files from my test server (Server 02) (Sharepoint Standalone) and i replaced the old ones.

3) I reseted the IIS

4) i tested the workflow functionality and the same error appeared.

5) i reversed the files and i tried with the inverse operation, so for my suprise applying the files (actions and xml) on the Server 02 it worked!, so i think that the files are well formed and doesn't exist problem with them and the references are ok.

Finally, i would suspect that the user permissions are involved (Would be this??)

Please if you have another idea i would be thankful.

greetings

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 4:35 PM
  • So, in a nutshell, you replaced the non-working sharepoint's files with old files, then put the original files back in, did a reset and Poof! it worked?!  Wow.... my guess would have to be the same as yours - permissions to the files.  It sounds like maybe the new files were not letting the system read them
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 4:44 PM

All replies

• Make sure your Microsoft.SharePoint.WorkflowActions.dll is in the GAC (c:\windows\assembly) and make sure the Public Key Token on the .dll is the same that is referenced there.  Designer is getting that information from the SharePoint web config (fyi)
    Monday, July 11, 2011 2:04 PM
  • Hi Mellisa,

Thanks for your reply, i revised the public token and the GAC and for this case is the same public token. Do you have another idea for this?

greetings

Monday, July 11, 2011 5:09 PM
  • What do you mean that you "revised the public token and the GAC" - do you just mean you checked it and they do match?

Has anyone in your environment created custom workflow activities for SharePoint recently that you are aware of?

Have you tried an iisreset?

Monday, July 11, 2011 5:21 PM
  • Yes, i revised the GACs in c:\windows\assembly and i compared with the referenced assemblies on the xml (WSS.ACTIONS, moss.actions and moderationworkflow.xml) so the public token in both it was matching.

Other point is : In the same  IIS where i have the sharepoint hosted,  i published an WCF service and it works with infopath forms. (i don't know if this affect something with the sharepoint designer workflows functionality).

I tried the IIS reset many times but it doesn't work.

Another test that i did, it was create another Sharepoint Site, but using the stand alone model, and the workflows with the Sharepoint Designer is working, so i revised the actions files and the moderationworkflow.xml and there were the same tags.

So i did a crazy thing:

1) I did a back up for three files from the server (Server 01) where the workflows don't work for don't affect something (2 actions and moderation.xml)

2) I took the same three files from my test server (Server 02) (Sharepoint Standalone) and i replaced the old ones.

3) I reseted the IIS

4) i tested the workflow functionality and the same error appeared.

5) i reversed the files and i tried with the inverse operation, so for my suprise applying the files (actions and xml) on the Server 02 it worked!, so i think that the files are well formed and doesn't exist problem with them and the references are ok.

Finally, i would suspect that the user permissions are involved (Would be this??)

Please if you have another idea i would be thankful.

greetings

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 4:35 PM
  • So, in a nutshell, you replaced the non-working sharepoint's files with old files, then put the original files back in, did a reset and Poof! it worked?!  Wow.... my guess would have to be the same as yours - permissions to the files.  It sounds like maybe the new files were not letting the system read them
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 4:44 PM