OOP Design - Debugging Tips and Technique RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have some winform apps that heavily object oriently designed. Of course no design documents exist from last developers. In order to gain better insite as to what is going on in the code. Outside of using system.Diagnostics  and debug.write, trace.write statements dotted all over the place and checking the stack. What debugging techniques or tips can you advise in order to get up to speed quickly?  The code is using all sorts of patterns.. Factory, Provider, Decorator and now I inherited these apps and need to get up to speed quickly. Any little tips or techniques would be appreciated from you Hard Core Developers here. =)

~J
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 1:14 AM

All replies

• i think more than debugging or tracing what you need is to understand the code.
    Since this is highly OO, suggest generate class, Sequence diagrams from code using VS 2008 and through this understand class relationships and use case sequence diagrams.
    This will atleast give you a better idea of code flow, dependencies, etc.
    If you have VS 2010, you can generate Layer diagram and map various projects to respective layers and validate code dependencies.
    if keen to understand other aspects of code/model documentation using VS2010, suggest go through this blog and associated whitepaper http://www.infosysblogs.com/microsoft/2010/02/vs2010.html

hope this helps.
    Regards
    Suds
    Monday, March 8, 2010 6:32 AM