none
Downgrading from SQL Server 2008 to 2005 RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed TFS 2008 along with SQL Server 2008.  I need to be utilize SQL Server 2005 on this same machine for the build process.  Is it possible to downgrade the SQL Server version to 2005 or would I just be better off starting from scratch? 

I believe there are some incompatibilities between the two versions of SQL Server that would make it impossible to run both side by side but I may be wrong about that.  Any guidance would be appreciated.

• Moved by Aaron Block - MSFT Friday, October 17, 2008 1:23 PM Question is better suited for a SQL Forum (Moved from Team Foundation Server - Setup to Using the Microsoft SQL Server Protocols)
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 3:42 AM

Answers

All replies

• H Flaunt,

It's probably going to be better to start from scratch, but I can't say for certain. You'll probably have better luck getting a solid answer to this question in the SQL forums.

Good Luck,
    --Aaron
    Friday, October 17, 2008 1:20 PM
  • Hi Flaunt,

I've gone ahead and moved this thread to a SQL Forum. Hopefully, they'll be able to provide you with a better answer there.

--Aaron
    • Marked as answer by Chris Mullaney Tuesday, October 21, 2008 10:56 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Chris Mullaney Tuesday, October 28, 2008 10:02 PM
    Friday, October 17, 2008 1:23 PM
  •  This post was mistakenly moved to the wrong SQL Server forum. Please repost your question to the following forum:

SQL Server Setup & Upgrade
    General Setup discussions, upgrade advisor, Best Practices Analyzer

http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=95&SiteID=1

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks - Chris
    • Marked as answer by Chris Mullaney Tuesday, October 28, 2008 10:11 PM
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 10:10 PM
  • You cannot restore a SQL Server Database backup taken from SQL Server 2008 and restore it on SQL Server 2005 as this is not supported by Microsoft. To know more why you can’t restore a database from higher version to lower version then read the following article. If you want to downgrade the database then use can utilize SQL Server Integration Services. An example to downgrade a SQL Server 2008 database to SQL Server 2005 is mentioned in the following article.

Hope that Helps!

Cheers,
    Ashish Kumar Mehta

Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem and Vote as Helpful if a Post is Helpful!

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 6:43 AM