none
HTTP AS2 timeout and server unavailable issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

We are facing a issue in our production environment when suddenly the partner changed some settings on their end to allow only 20 incoming AS2 messages at any given time.The error we are getting is

The adapter failed to transmit message going to send port.It will be retransmitted after the retry interval specified for this Send Port. Details:"The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request.".

The adapter failed to transmit message going to send port . It will be retransmitted after the retry interval specified for this Send Port. Details:"Unable to connect to the remote server".

Can some configurational settings  like max connections in btsconfig,host throttling or ordered delivery be done to mitigate the issue.

I had read somewhere that even if i give max connections in btsconfig as 20 the messages will still timeout in high load scenarios.So is host throttling possible for HTTP adapters or ordered delivery approach is the right one to take if a slight performance hit is acceptable.

Please suggest.

Alok
    • Edited by Alok Mishra Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:47 AM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:46 AM

Answers

• Alok,

I would think that the maxconnections setting would be the appropriate solution here. Yes, you can still get timeouts under load -- but that's true for any adapter, so I'm not sure what your concern is. You might want to increase the number of retries if you expect a lot of timeouts to your partner. You also might want to check the retry interval and adjust it (e.g., increase it if you expect your partner to be under load for longer periods; decrease it to retry more frequently).

Host throttling is by host (obviously) so I'm not sure why the settings for an HTTP host would be any more or less capable that any other host.

Ordered delivery seems like overkill.

If I misunderstood something, I apologize. Please let me know, and I'll respond further. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Randy S. Ridgely [MSFT]
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use. © 2011 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    Friday, November 18, 2011 3:02 PM

All replies

• Hi Alok,

I will try to involve someone familar with this kind of issue to help you. Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Alan Yao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 7:45 AM
  • Alok,

I would think that the maxconnections setting would be the appropriate solution here. Yes, you can still get timeouts under load -- but that's true for any adapter, so I'm not sure what your concern is. You might want to increase the number of retries if you expect a lot of timeouts to your partner. You also might want to check the retry interval and adjust it (e.g., increase it if you expect your partner to be under load for longer periods; decrease it to retry more frequently).

Host throttling is by host (obviously) so I'm not sure why the settings for an HTTP host would be any more or less capable that any other host.

Ordered delivery seems like overkill.

If I misunderstood something, I apologize. Please let me know, and I'll respond further. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Randy S. Ridgely [MSFT]
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use. © 2011 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    Friday, November 18, 2011 3:02 PM