Develope Mobile Web Application with VS2008 RRS feed

• Question

• User1392854443 posted

I have been scanning the internet, forums, blogs and such but have not found what I am looking for... so here it goes a new post.

I have a clean install of VS2008 (no prior version of VS) with SP1 installed.  There are no Mobile Web Application templates and no Mobile Web Forms when I go to creaet new project or item.  I have tried manually inheriting from MobilePage [public partial class _Default : System.Web.UI.MobileControls.MobilePage] and tried to manually add mobile controls:

<mobile:Form>
        <mobile:Label></mobile:Label>
    </mobile:Form>

But I get the green squigly under the mobile stating "unrecognized name space".

I did find a blog [http://blogs.msdn.com/webdevtools/archive/2007/09/17/tip-trick-asp-net-mobile-development-with-visual-studio-2008.aspx] that provided a zip file with project and item templates with little or now directions to install, but try as I may... I can not get VS2008 to recognize these templates and have them show up when creating new project or new item.

I have contacted a local Microsoft guy that does presentations at the local .net developer goup meetings, but I haven't gotten any further.

Please... Please... can anyone tell me what to do or assist in locating information showing how to develop web pages/application for mobile devices in an environment such as mine.  I am amazed at how challenging it has been to find such information.

Thank you for your help.

Friday, October 17, 2008 12:01 AM

Answers

• User-380708829 posted

Hey,

I've been running into similar problems when I first wanted to develop a mobile page. After some research I also found this blog post. Talking about the namespace issue first, one should know, that System.Web.Mobile is an assembly which has to be referenced explicitly (the compiler won't see the namespace if you reference System.Web only!).

I did find a blog [http://blogs.msdn.com/webdevtools/archive/2007/09/17/tip-trick-asp-net-mobile-development-with-visual-studio-2008.aspx] that provided a zip file with project and item templates with little or now directions to install, but try as I may... I can not get VS2008 to recognize these templates and have them show up when creating new project or new item.

Using these templates is a bit tricky. First you create a default website/web application (or an empty web project). If there's either a Default.aspx or a Web.config, you should delete them because they have to be a bit different for mobile pages. Now that your project is "empty", you "Add a new item". The custom templates will be in the "My Templates" section of the assistant. Specifically, there are templates for a mobile web form, a custom mobile control as also a mobile web.config.

Please... Please... can anyone tell me what to do or assist in locating information showing how to develop web pages/application for mobile devices in an environment such as mine.  I am amazed at how challenging it has been to find such information.

Well, that's true. The resources available on this subject are somewhat limited (at least it seems to me as if they were). However, there are some good articles and walkthroughs on the msdn.

Good luck!

mik

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 8:28 AM