none
Page Bodies Appear Below Left (Navigation) Pane RRS feed

• Question

• I imported a website from FrontPage 2003, and the borders (left, top, and bottom) imported into each page, as opposed to into a discrete central location where I could change them once and have the changes propagate into each page. I tried to fix this, but now the body of each page appears below the left pane (which is for navigation). Instead, the left pane should create a sort of left margin. 
    Thursday, November 8, 2012 1:43 PM

All replies

• You don't say what version of Expression Web you are using but versions 3+ do not really support shared borders EW 4 can corrupt them. You need to remove them in FrontPage. You can then create a DWT to put that content in either in FrontPage 2003 (which does support both shared borders and DWTs) or in Expression Web after you have removed the shared borders from the pages.

There are resources linked in the FAQ that will help you to migrate your FrontPage site over. You'll find it less frustrating if you spend a bit of time with them.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

Thursday, November 8, 2012 2:11 PM
  • Are you using EW4?  EW4 will destroy pages that use FrontPage shared borders.
    Suggest you get the original pages into FrontPage or an earlier version of Expression Web and remove the shared borders before opening the site in EW4.

Note that had you published the site, rather than Import, the shared border files would be found in the _borders folder - but the trashing of pages would still happen with EW4.

EW3 trial can be obtained from

Ron Symonds
    Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
    Thursday, November 8, 2012 2:14 PM
  • Thanks, all. I use Expression version 4.013030 SP2

I do not recall how I loaded/opened my FrontPage 2003 website into Expression, so if that matters, I cannot clarify that. And I may have misspoke when I said that I "imported" it, if "import" is a term of art.

Lawrence J. Joseph

Thursday, November 8, 2012 2:20 PM
  • Import differs from publish in EW's lexicon. Import can only get what is publicly accessible, while publish (since it requires full credentials) can bring everything down. (BTW, do NOT ask the same question multiple times; it is rude, and drives someone else's question off of the first page of threads, where it might be seen and answered. Don't do that. We are all volunteers here, in multiple time zones, and we will get to you when we can.)

Now, if you already have the site on your local machine, you don't have to do either. Simply use "Site|New Site...|Empty Site", then navigate to the folder containing the site. Name the site whatever you want, make sure that "Add to managed list" is checked, and you're good to go.

The problem with Shared Borders has already been explained. Open the site in FP, remove the Shared Borders, then you can safely open it in EW to establish your DWT to replace the Shared Borders.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, November 8, 2012 7:42 PM
  • I'm not sure what to make of your all-cap'ed, bolded, italicized, underscored admonition. I did not to my knowledge ask the same question multiple times. I did a reply to my own question to answer the version and import/publish issues that came up in the other two responses.

Lawrence J. Joseph

Thursday, November 8, 2012 9:36 PM
  • Look at the thread list (main page). You will see that your question appears twice, with a response from Bill Pearson to the other one, essentially saying the same thing I did. The problem is that most of us rarely visit older pages, so once a question is pushed down and off the first page, it might as well be gone. By duplicating your post, someone else's question was consigned to that limbo.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, November 8, 2012 9:41 PM
  • Larry,

There are definitely two submissions as indicated by the URL's.

First submission: http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en/web/thread/229cbfd3-ccc9-4f56-96a3-4cf1ee8201a3

Second submission: http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en/web/thread/94eb168c-f7a5-45fe-9643-95293ac059a7

Given the well known less-than-reliable nature of this forum software it probably wasn't intentional.

The two posts time-stamp indicates they were submitted exactly the same time.

Andrew M

http://www.murraywebs.com

"Nothing spoils numbers faster than arithmetic!"
    -- Peppermint Patty (Peanuts, Charles M. Schulz)

Thursday, November 8, 2012 10:03 PM