Java RunTime Windows Vs Linux RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to use GML4J, an open-source GML reader coded in JAVA.
    I tested it on Linux & Windows platform, under JRE versions 5,6 & 7.
    It works fine on Linux but on windows I am always getting run-time error :

java.lang.NullPointerException at java.io.StringReader.(StringReader.java:33)

I am not able to put the source code under some IDE (like eclipse) and debug
    it to describe the problem more explitly.

Is there any difference between JRE for windows & linux? Is some JDK component is missing
    on my machine? As things are working fine on Linux, it does not appear to be problem
    with code. It appears to be JAVA installation/library issue. How this can be diagonized
    and resolved?
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 9:57 AM

Answers

• Hi Rajesh,

As far as I know, a Java runtime provides the same interface to the Java application, even if it has the different implementation on the different OS. Like the car, they may have the different engines, but they all have the same steering wheel for user. So I think it is unnecessary to care the differences between the JRT in Linux and Windows. For our developer, they are same.

However, if a Java application uses some native code, it cannot be transferred to other platforms easily. So please ensure if the GML4J provides the version for Windows system. I read the document of GML4J: http://gml4j.sourceforge.net/Releases.html it seems it uses the JDOM, therefore please ensure the related components has been installed in the Windows system.

Regarding to the issues of the JRT installation, I think Java forum may help you: http://forums.oracle.com/forums/main.jspa;jsessionid=8d92079330d6c41dcce95d774ebab21be728d352f025.e38QbNuQbx8Kbi0LbhaMaxuObNv0?categoryID=84

Thanks,

Sincerely,

Bob Bao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Jie Bao Tuesday, February 1, 2011 8:43 AM
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 9:38 AM