none
Can VS2013 and VS2015 share a portable class library project

Question

• A portable class library project PCLFoo has been used by VS 2013 for a long time.

In VS 2015, I can can add PCLFoo as a reference to a UWP project, however I cannot use it in the code.  For example, if I add the following: 

using PCLFoo;

I get the following error:

The type or namespace name 'PCLFoo' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

When I check the assembly information, I get the following:

This form is filled in VS 2013.  When I try to edit properties, I get the following:

Could anyone shed some light on this?

Hong

Sunday, November 15, 2015 2:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Hong,

For this issue, I think it is more related to developing universal windows app, I suggest you could consult this issue on this forum for dedicated support: Developing Universal Windows apps

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Jiayi

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Hong (MA, USA) Tuesday, November 17, 2015 9:53 AM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2015 9:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Hong,

I tested this issue on my machine, and I could use it. I created a portable class library project "MyPortable" in visual studio, and then I add it into visual studio 2015, and I could build it successfully:

Please make sure that you have added it, please go to project, References, right click -> Add reference, see the screenshot below:

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, November 16, 2015 6:53 AM
  • Thanks a lot for investigating it, Jiayi.

Building the VS2013 PCL in VS2015 is not a problem here either.  The problem is that I am unable to use the PCL in a UWP project. Could you actually use the PCL in an app project in VS2015?  By "use", I mean adding the "using" statement, and using a method of the PCL.

Hong

Monday, November 16, 2015 11:56 AM
  • Hi Hong,

For this issue, I think it is more related to developing universal windows app, I suggest you could consult this issue on this forum for dedicated support: Developing Universal Windows apps

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Jiayi

• Marked as answer by Hong (MA, USA) Tuesday, November 17, 2015 9:53 AM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2015 9:47 AM
  • Thank you, Jiayi.

I will post this question there.

Hong

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 9:54 AM