Older driver offered as an “update” by Windows Update service in place of newer driver currently installed. RRS feed

• Question

• The Nvidia GeForce GT 220 video driver that I recently installed in my computer was created on 5/20/11 and was published by Nvidia on 6/01/11.

Windows Update is now offering me an optional “update” of my current driver with a driver released way back in August 2010 that Microsoft didn't get around to publishing until 6/22/11.

If I didn’t know better and accepted this offer without checking the version numbers involved, I would downgrade my 2011 driver to an old 2010 driver by trusting Microsoft’s untrustworthy Windows Update software.

Because of Microsoft’s terrible processing time in publishing 3rd party driver updates (almost a year late in this case), Windows Update needs to be modified to check for a possible later version on the user’s computer prior to inappropriately replacing that later version with one that is obsolete.

This is just common sense. Most people will assume that a driver being offered by Windows Update, even on an "optional" basis, is the latest version and will likely believe it represents an update rather than a downgrade.

I request that Microsoft fix the Windows Update software so that it actually performs only upgrades and not unsuspecting and inadvertent downgrades.

FH040
    Monday, July 18, 2011 12:38 AM