Playing with Server 2012 R2 on Azure RRS feed

• Question

• Why am I being charged against the $200 usage credit?  This a beta, not a production system, I'm beta testing.

So why is this being charged?

Don't Retire TechNet

Thursday, August 1, 2013 6:51 AM

All replies

• Charges for using Azure are based on not just the software licenses, but also compute and storage costs. If you have an MSDN subscription, deploying VMs into the associated Azure subscription has significantly reduced costs. See http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2013/06/03/windows-azure-announcing-major-improvements-for-dev-test-in-the-cloud.aspx for more information about the MSDN dev/test offer.
    Thursday, August 1, 2013 7:34 AM
  • Hi,

Apologize for the inconvenience that caused by the encountered issue. The billing FAQ http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/13626.windows-azure-accounts-and-billing-faq.aspx introduces some valuable information, please check it and see whether it helps.

[quote]

I’ve heard stories of customers receiving unexpected bills when using trial and MSDN accounts, why is this?

The zero-billing option on trial and MSDN accounts was introduced in December 2011. Before this, any usage of Azure resources above the free quotas for trial and MSDN accounts would be billed. In some cases this has resulted in Azure users receiving unexpected bills for Windows Azure usage. There are a number of factors that can lead to this.
    • Deployments with roles in the stopped state
          When applications using web roles, worker roles and VM roles are deployed to Windows Azure, but are in the stopped state, the role instances incur charges.
    • Excessive storage transactions created by Windows Azure Diagnostics
          Use of Windows Azure Diagnostics can result in a large number of transactions being made against the Windows Azure Storage Services. In some chases this has lead to unexpected billing.

In most cases, unexpected billing is due to users not fully understanding the intricacies of the Windows Azure pricing and billing model. As with any pay-as-you-go service, such as a mobile phone, it is important to understand the billing model if your account is not set with a $0 billing limit.

[/quote]

If it doesn't help, you can also contact our support team by creating a support ticket at http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/support/contact/

Or if that doesn't work because you don't have an active subscription you will need to contact general customer support to have them create a support ticket for you http://support.microsoft.com/gp/customer-service-phone-numbers?wa=wsignin1.0

Best Regards,

Ming Xu

Ming Xu
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, August 1, 2013 7:43 AM
  • I'm playing with Server 2012 R2 - a B-E-T-A product that isn't released at this time.  Since when should playing with a beta have a cost that is then allocated against a credit?

Don't Retire TechNet

Thursday, August 1, 2013 1:47 PM
  • Understood, and the fees here are not associated with the Windows Server license, but rather the cost of running a VM on Azure (regardless of what's running inside of it). If you have an MSDN subscription, the compute costs for running a VM for Windows Server are significantly discounted (see the link I mentioned in my first reply).

Thursday, August 1, 2013 4:17 PM
  • So the MSRC is paying people to find security bugs, but I get charged against a credit for finding non security bugs in virtual machines running in Azure?

May I say this really squashes the zeal of beta testing.

Don't Retire TechNet

Thursday, August 1, 2013 4:20 PM
  • Windows Server 2012 R2 Beta itself is free. You can download it from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/dn205286.aspx and install it anywhere you like. But you must pay for the hardware (either real or virtual). For instance, you can purchase a PC (or use a PC you've purchased earlier), you can purchase VMware and install a virtual machine (or if you've already purchased Windows Server 2000), you can also purchase Windows Azure or Amazon EC2 or whatever cloud computing solutions to host the OS.

Please understand while Windows Server 2012 R2 is currently in beta, Windows Azure is a released product. So you need to pay for Windows Azure if you want to use it, but you don't need to pay for Windows Server 2012 R2.
    Friday, August 2, 2013 5:54 AM
  • Please understand this doesn't encourage beta testing and bug finding. 

Don't Retire TechNet

Friday, August 2, 2013 6:02 AM
  • The problem is not on Azure's side. Windows Azure is a released product. You pay for Windows Azure if you want to use it, Windows Server 2012 R2 Beta is free, we can test and find potential bugs via installing OS anywhere besides Azure.
    Friday, August 2, 2013 6:19 AM
  • No, there are unique nuances that only occur when the server is up on Azure that do not occur when it's on real iron.  Activation errors that BPAs react to that were wrong, wizards that don't react well to the networking.  Some things can only be tested in this location and I'm just saying it's not encouraging it.

Don't Retire TechNet

Friday, August 2, 2013 6:23 AM
  • It makes sense if unique nuances existed.
    Friday, August 2, 2013 6:26 AM