none
Cant read .CSV file. RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to access the data from a door entry system backup file. The system runs a version of windows CE (?) it says the OS is version 3.01.

I believe the file to be a .CSV even though it is a .bak. I dont have a device running any kind of windows embedded to read and edit the file so i have been trying to read it through a desktop windows, but i am having no luck with any CSV readers. I have tried Excel, notepad, a couple of programs from the net including uploading to sites and others.

How can i open the file and it be readable through a desktop windows if the file isnt CSV how can tell what it really is.

Thanks for any help and sorry for being a vague pain.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 4:28 PM

All replies

• Even if it was created by a controller running a Windows CE 3.01 OS, you should still be able to open it on your PC.

Try reading it with a hex file editor such as HXD (http://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/) this should give you the raw hexadecimal data contained in the file, as well as a text output (if there is any).

Or try changing the extension to .db and opening it with a database browser such as SQLite Database Browser (http://sqlitebrowser.sourceforge.net), SQLite is a common database application used on Windows CE controllers.

If you still can't read it, it could be that the software has encrypted or compressed the data somehow, in which case you will have to contact the original software vendors/developers.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 8:13 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately it didnt help. It must be encrypted, i can read some of it like the english but none of the token codes.

Oh well thanks for your time and advice anyway.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 9:44 PM
  • Another possibility is SQL Server Compact, also known as SQLCE. There's a version of this for the desktop that might allow you to browse the database from Visual Studio or write some code to enumerate tables and data, if it is SQLCE.

It sounds like you don't really know what's supposed to be in the file. Can you tell us more about the CE device (make, model) and what you expect to find in the file (what program creates it, that sort of thing)? There's a better chance of someone happening to know than being able to decode a file whose history and parentage we don't know.

Paul T.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 11:40 PM