none
Remove hyphen from package identity name

Question

• Hello,

When creating an app on the DevCenter, new identity details are generated for that app. This is fine, however the package identity name is generated with a hyphen in it.

When including this hyphen in the package name in our app's code, it causes the app to hang on launch, causing it to fail the package tests. Hyphens are not in Java or Android package naming conventions, so I assume this has something to do with the app not being able to launch properly when the hyphen is included in the code.

I assumed it was getting the hyphen from our company display name, so I removed the hyphen from that and re-created the app. After doing this the package identity name was still being generated with a hyphen, and at this point I have no idea where it is getting this hyphen from.

Put simply, there is a single hyphen in my app's package identity name and I need to get rid of it. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
    Kez

• Moved by David_FF Thursday, December 22, 2016 2:34 AM more related to Publishing store apps
    Friday, December 9, 2016 10:26 AM

All replies

• I dont think there is anyway to get it to not add the hyphen.  Could you do a string.replace to get rid of the hypen when getting the package name? Can you post the code having the issue with the hypen?  
    Friday, December 9, 2016 5:40 PM
  • Hi Kez,

I could not see hyphen from my app. In Dev Center, the Package/Identity/Name of mine is 31035MyName.TestApp. Could you use another name or another app with Dev Center? I help you move this thread to Dev Center forum for better help.

Best Regards,
    David

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by David_FF Thursday, December 22, 2016 2:31 AM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2016 1:20 PM
  • Hi Kez,

I have made a test and find that modifying the publisher display name won't make difference on package identity name.

According to your description, I think the hyphen may come from your original publisher name if it contains hyphen, which can bind with your publisher ID. 

The best way, I can think of, is to contact Dev Center support  to discuss if you have any other option and confirm the real reason for your app hanging on launch by the way.

Please feel free to update here once you make any progress.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Mattew Wu 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 22, 2016 9:22 AM
  • Hi Mattew,

Unfortunately I have already spoken to Dev Center support about this and all they could recommend was to ask here!

I have come to the conclusion that I will not be able to remove the hyphen from the package name, and will just have to attempt to get my app working with the hyphen present.

The app was created using Apache Cordova, and I believe this is where the underlying issue is. Who knew a hyphen could cause so much extra work!

Kind Regards,
    Kez

• Edited by Kez Niddu Thursday, December 22, 2016 9:49 AM
    Thursday, December 22, 2016 9:46 AM
  • Hi Ken,

Unfortunately the issue is with the framework I used to develop the app known as Apache Cordova. Removing the hyphen from the package name would have been an easy fix, however I will now have to attempt to find the source of the issue in the Apache Cordova source code!

Regards,
    Kez

Thursday, December 22, 2016 9:49 AM
  • Hi David,

Thanks for moving the thread! I have tried deleting and recreating the app however the Package/Identity/Name seems to always contain a hyphen for me. Presumably from the original company display name on the account. At this point I think getting rid of the hyphen is a lost cause! I am going to attempt to fix the issue using another method.

Kind Regards,
    Kez

Thursday, December 22, 2016 9:54 AM
  • I don't use Apache Cordova, but if you have access to the app Manifest like in VS, you should be able to enter anything you want.

And it does not require to change the actual code.

• Edited by Mitchb00 Monday, December 26, 2016 12:40 PM
    Saturday, December 24, 2016 9:41 PM