none
OLE DB or ODBC error: Login timeout expired; HYT00; A network-related or instance-specific error has occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

you are my last chance to solve my problem.

I've got the following error, if i start my SSAS job:

OLE DB or ODBC error: Login timeout expired; HYT00; A network-related or instance-specific error has occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. Server is not found or not accessible. Check if instance name is correct and if SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. For more information see SQL Server Books Online. ; 08001; SQL Server Network Interfaces: ----->>>> Error finding the server / instance [xFFFFFFFF]. ; 08001. (Source: \\?\S:\OLAP\LOG\msmdsrv.log, Type: 3, Category: 289, Event ID: 0xC1210003)

The bolded text is my translation, because i don't find the text on google.

My setup:
    Failover Cluster
    2 x Physical Server with Windows Server 2016
    SQL Server 2014 Enterprise with Analysis Services

Now the strange thing:
    EVERYTHING works fine before i installed the Windows server 2016 cumulative updates! It is weird.
    The normal database module works fine. Any connection is accepted. Only if i start the AS job, it fails.

Workaround:
    Nothing

I tried to reboot all Nodes and the sql services.
    I tried to repair the installation with the setup routine.
    No google solution work for me.

DNS and Connection Strings in the analysis services database sources are correct!

BUT i've found a small hint in the eventlog. There is one entry, that wasn't there before:
    ------>>
    Failed to initialize SQLSQM timer. One of the following can be the source of the problem: registry doesn’t contain all necessary information, server instance name can not be retrieved correctly, failure during timer creation, etc. (Category: 289

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
    Kind regards,
    Dennis

Thursday, May 3, 2018 1:58 PM

Answers

• Hi Dennis,

In your SSMS of SSAS instance can you double click on data source, click on the connection string, launch the connection manager and then click on the button Test connection and see if its succeeds. If its successful then can you check on the impersonation account?

HTH,

Ram

Please vote as helpful or mark as answer, if it helps

• Marked as answer by seniordbado Monday, May 14, 2018 9:14 AM
    Thursday, May 3, 2018 2:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Dennis,

In your SSMS of SSAS instance can you double click on data source, click on the connection string, launch the connection manager and then click on the button Test connection and see if its succeeds. If its successful then can you check on the impersonation account?

HTH,

Ram

Please vote as helpful or mark as answer, if it helps

• Marked as answer by seniordbado Monday, May 14, 2018 9:14 AM
    Thursday, May 3, 2018 2:36 PM
  • Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your question.

>>>OLE DB or ODBC error: Login timeout expired; HYT00; A network-related or instance-specific error has occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. Server is not found or not accessible. Check if instance name is correct and if SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections.
    According to above error messages, you might need to verify below configuration and information:
    1) Please make sure your SQL Server instance is running. You can test this in SSMS, see if you can log in to the SQL Server instance.
    2) If the SQL Server instance is running normally, then you might want to check permission for the impersonation account, Please make sure that user has sufficient permissions to the underlying data source.
    3) Please check the data provider for you SSAS job, this issue might also caused by data provider.
    4) If it is indeed a connection time out issue, you might also need to verify the SSAS property named "ExternalCommandTimeout". You will find the default value as 3600 sec. Change the value as per your requirement and click OK button.

Best Regards
    Willson Yuan
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, May 4, 2018 5:15 AM
  • Hi@all,

thanks for your answer.

@Ram: It works, if i change the impersonation account! But it is weird, because before i update the OS, it worked fine. And the error message doesn't mirror the correct issue.

Anyway. We can close this issue.

Thanks for your help!

Best regards,

Dennis

Monday, May 14, 2018 9:13 AM