Need help in design question RRS feed

• Question

• User-624421502 posted

Hello,

I have used master page in my appplication and in my login page which I derive from Master Page.I have used a Login Control for users to Login.If a user has forgot the password.I have a link for that which takes him to recover password page.

The problem is that in that page also he needs to see Login Control.i.e. user should not realize that he has been moved to some other page.

But in that case I will be using Login Control in two pages.Which I feel is not right think to do.

Could anybody let me know how I could achieve samething with better design.

This is not website but it is going to be a webbased interanet application. 

Thanks,

Bilal

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 1:56 PM

Answers

• User-952121411 posted

He should still see Login Control on RecoverPassword Page.Which means I have to have Login Control in two page.Login Page and Recover Password Pages.Which I feel is not good design.

Let me start by saying I am a huge fan of refactoring, streamlining, optimizing, you name it to code. But to be honest with you, I really don't think having the login control (and when you say control I am thinking of a reusable control) on (2) different pages that need it, should be labeled as a bad design.  You would be better off spending your effort refining or concentrating on the main application architecture than to spend a lot of time coming up with a UI scheme to not have to use a control on more than 1 page.

While it might be possible to come up with some nested master page solution to get you where you need, I don't think it is too bad to have an individual control on each page in your scenario.  Now if you say that every single page needs the control, that is a different story, but just (2) is not a reason in my book to raise a red flag.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:10 AM

All replies

• User-863835478 posted

You can create another master page that contains no login for the recover password page or make the login invisible on it in page init?

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 4:48 PM
  • User-624421502 posted

I am not sure if I was able to explain problem well.I got this impression from your response.Let me try again.

I am not using Login Control on Master Page.(It contains Navigation control on left side and header with logo and name of application)

I have seperate page for login which I derived from Master Page.I need to have a link for Forgot Password and when user clicks on Forgot Password.I am planning to take him to other page called RecoverPassword Page.The problem is while the user will fill the information for RecoverPassword Page.He should still see Login Control on RecoverPassword Page.Which means I have to have Login Control in two page.Login Page and Recover Password Pages.Which I feel is not good design.

Is there better way of achieveing same thing.

Thanks,

Thursday, January 14, 2010 7:18 AM
  • User-952121411 posted

He should still see Login Control on RecoverPassword Page.Which means I have to have Login Control in two page.Login Page and Recover Password Pages.Which I feel is not good design.

Let me start by saying I am a huge fan of refactoring, streamlining, optimizing, you name it to code. But to be honest with you, I really don't think having the login control (and when you say control I am thinking of a reusable control) on (2) different pages that need it, should be labeled as a bad design.  You would be better off spending your effort refining or concentrating on the main application architecture than to spend a lot of time coming up with a UI scheme to not have to use a control on more than 1 page.

While it might be possible to come up with some nested master page solution to get you where you need, I don't think it is too bad to have an individual control on each page in your scenario.  Now if you say that every single page needs the control, that is a different story, but just (2) is not a reason in my book to raise a red flag.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:10 AM
  • User-624421502 posted

Thanks for reassurance.I basically come from Java background and always tend to think that is there a way to refer an object if I need to use is second time.But by writting it some clarity came to my mind that I could indeed create a second master page with just this control, if it was needed for few pages.

But for this I will buy your idea to infact intialize login Control (an object Cool) two times.After all I am not writting an embeded program.Yell 

I appreciate your help.

Thanks

Bilal

Thursday, January 14, 2010 2:05 PM