Parent Child Relationship RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have created a parent child relationship in Analysis service, however it does not seem to be working correctly. Although it is not failing it is not creating some of the relationships which exist between the Project_Key and Parent_Key... Can anyone explain why this maybe happening?

Regards

Dave

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 10:02 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your all your replies. I've now solved the issue. It was a problem with the code which builds the dimension, for some reason its was filtering out the parent. Strange!!

Thanks

Dave

• Marked as answer by Dave Kerby Wednesday, December 5, 2012 5:28 PM
    Wednesday, December 5, 2012 5:27 PM

All replies

• Although it is not failing it is not creating some of the relationships ...

It is possible that someone has changed the error configuration on this dimension not to report errors? I've never seen this happen unless someone has done something silly like ignoring duplicate key errors.

http://darren.gosbell.com - please mark correct answers

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 12:50 AM
  • Hi Dave,

Please take a look at the following tool:
    Analysis Services Parent-Child Dimension Naturalizer: http://pcdimnaturalize.codeplex.com/

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, November 30, 2012 6:55 AM
  • @Elvis - the Parent-Child naturalizer is not designed to fix issues like this. It's more aimed at addressing some of the performance issues that people hit with p-c dimensions. If there are duplicate keys or referential integrity issues this tool will probably have issues with this dimension too. 

http://darren.gosbell.com - please mark correct answers

Friday, November 30, 2012 9:19 AM
  • Hi Darren,

thanks for your quick response. Unfortunately it is none of the things you have suggested (wish it was always that simple).

Regards

Dave

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 4:35 PM
  • In fact i've even taken the code which is being created when i process the dimension and it clearly states that the record should have a parent.

SELECT
      DISTINCT
     [dbo_vw_D_Project].[Project_Skey] AS [dbo_vw_D_ProjectProject_Skey0_0],[dbo_vw_D_Project].[project_name] AS [dbo_vw_D_Projectproject_name0_1],[dbo_vw_D_Project].[Parent_SKey] AS [dbo_vw_D_ProjectParent_SKey0_2]
      FROM [dbo].[vw_D_Project] AS [dbo_vw_D_Project]

dbo_vw_D_ProjectProject_Skey0_0    dbo_vw_D_Projectproject_name0_1            dbo_vw_D_ProjectParent_SKey0_2
    1276                                                    AMP 05/06 Ph 2b KENT & SUSSEX AREA                         28
    1598                                                    AMP 05/06 Ph 2b WESSEX AREA                                    28
    1600                                                    AMP 05/06 Ph 3a WESSEX AREA                                    28
    1664                                                    AMP 05/06 Ph 1 KENT & SUSSEX AREA                           28
    1665                                                    AMP 05/06 Ph 3a KENT & SUSSEX AREA                         28
    1904                                                    AMP 05/06 Ph 1 WESSEX AREA                                      28
    1905                                                    AMP 05/06 Ph 2a KENT & SUSSEX AREA                         28

The question is why is this relationship not being displayed in the viewer?

Regards

Dave

• Edited by Dave Kerby Wednesday, December 5, 2012 5:13 PM
    Wednesday, December 5, 2012 5:11 PM
  • Thanks for your all your replies. I've now solved the issue. It was a problem with the code which builds the dimension, for some reason its was filtering out the parent. Strange!!

Thanks

Dave

• Marked as answer by Dave Kerby Wednesday, December 5, 2012 5:28 PM
    Wednesday, December 5, 2012 5:27 PM