Load testing from Unit tests RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I've created a simple unit test and would like to load test it (I've tried the 'webperformance test' option but unfortunately the tool does not support javascript or ajax calls).

The problem I've found is that when I go to the 'Add Test' section in the Load test options I cannot find any coadeUI tests I've created in the Available tests pane.  All I can see are the webpeformance tests I've created.

Is there something I've done wrong ?  Any step by step help appreciated. (I did try this link http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff468125.aspx) but it doesn't help me much.

Many thanks

Prev

P Sooben

• Moved by niveditabawa_MSFT Friday, March 16, 2012 5:08 AM moving this to a more appropriate forum. Thanks (From:Testing with Visual Studio Test Manager (MTM))
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 10:05 AM

Answers

• before you give up on web performance tests try using fiddler to record the traffic and save as a webtest www.fiddler2.com I strongly suspect this will work for you.  Once you execute your script with fiddler on, do a File Export->All Sessions->Select Export Format (pick Visual Studio WebTests).   When you are trying to do a load test you probably want to steer clear of using coded ui tests.  Each virtual user you try to simulate will require an agent so if you are trying to simulate a load of 100 people you will need 100 agents - not very practical

see the limitation at the bottom of this link:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff468125.aspx

Tim

Friday, March 16, 2012 1:52 PM
  • Hi Sooben,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

Test->Windows->Test View, can you see the Coded UI test?

1. If it doesn’t have it, I think that’s the reason why we couldn’t add it to the load test.
    2. If it has the coded UI test in the Test View, but you couldn’t get it when you create the load test, I’m afraid it is related to your VS, if possible, run your VS:  Devenv.exe /SafeMode: Launches the IDE in safe mode loading minimal windows. Check it.

I can repro this issue, but I can get the coded UI test like the following screen shot.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, March 16, 2012 8:44 AM

All replies

• Hi Sooben,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]

Friday, March 16, 2012 5:11 AM
  • Hi Sooben,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

Test->Windows->Test View, can you see the Coded UI test?

1. If it doesn’t have it, I think that’s the reason why we couldn’t add it to the load test.
    2. If it has the coded UI test in the Test View, but you couldn’t get it when you create the load test, I’m afraid it is related to your VS, if possible, run your VS:  Devenv.exe /SafeMode: Launches the IDE in safe mode loading minimal windows. Check it.

I can repro this issue, but I can get the coded UI test like the following screen shot.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Friday, March 16, 2012 8:44 AM
  • before you give up on web performance tests try using fiddler to record the traffic and save as a webtest www.fiddler2.com I strongly suspect this will work for you.  Once you execute your script with fiddler on, do a File Export->All Sessions->Select Export Format (pick Visual Studio WebTests).   When you are trying to do a load test you probably want to steer clear of using coded ui tests.  Each virtual user you try to simulate will require an agent so if you are trying to simulate a load of 100 people you will need 100 agents - not very practical

see the limitation at the bottom of this link:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff468125.aspx

Tim

Friday, March 16, 2012 1:52 PM
  • Hi Sooben,

I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side. 

What about this problem now?

Would you mind letting us know the result of the suggestion?

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Friday, March 23, 2012 8:13 AM