Cannot close my metro app

Question

• I am annoyed about this. after i launch my metro app, no way like desktop app to close it.

Very strange. Microsoft intends to do that? or it's a bug?

please help.

Monday, February 20, 2012 10:28 AM

Answers

All replies

• Metro Style apps do not consume ressources (they are only kept in memory) when they are in the background (unless you implement background music or something similar). They are designed in a way that the user does not need to close them. If the system is low on memory, it well tell the app to save its state and then remove it from memory automatically.

I know, this feels a little weird at first but it is actually quite good (notice how fast your app can "resume").

If you really (why would you?) want to "close" (remove from memory) your app then you can do this in the beta (consumer preview) with a swipe gesture/mouse gesture. You can also do this in the Developer Preview but its buggy...

Monday, February 20, 2012 10:43 AM
  • Windows will suspend a metro app when leave it. Windows keeps it in memory but it doesn't consume any CPU time. This allows you to jump right back into the app if needed. If the system needs more memory it will close the oldest apps.

Please check this thread http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/2cdfa56d-db44-475d-a6a7-ac85cac3e27d

Best wishes,

Robin [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, February 20, 2012 12:49 PM
  • There was a comment on this topic in Steven Sinofsky's blog as well that you may want to read: Evolving the Start menu 

There are commonly discussions on changes to the Developer Preview release in response to the feedback we're hearing, so it's a great blog to add to your subscriptions.

Thanks,

-David

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 1:02 AM